Wilt, Mildew? Any Successful treatment?

jktrahan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This happens to my cucumbers every year. They grow great, then about 2 weeks after they start putting out cucumbers they start wilting.

Anyone have ideas on what this is. Even better, any idea on how to treat?

I rotate my crops so nothing is ever planted in the same space year after year, and I only water about twice a week. Temps have been in the mid 80's. I even tried drip irrigation the last couple of years.
Thanks,

Cucumber:
7835_image.jpeg

Pumpkin:
7835_image_1.jpeg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like powdery mildew to me. You can spray a fungicide to keep it at bay, but it's better to just not let it get started. Spraying for the cucumber beetles will help. They carry in disease when they come for a nibble. I usually just yank the affected plants when I spot them and toss them on the burn pile before it spreads to the others. Full sun and plenty of air circulation, not crowding the plants, will help prevent problems too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Joey, there are resistant varieties. Here is a list from Clemson (click) but there are a lot more.

I think you would have to start spraying before you see the problem. There are organic sprays like baking soda and copper but I don't have experience with them.

Mildew spreads quickly. My zucchini often begins to get sick during the last month of the season. Younger plants seem to be much slower to go over the cliff than old plants. You might have some luck succession planting cucumbers. It seems to work fairly well in my garden for zucchini.

Staying away from those varieties that have no resistance would be a first step. As an example, Black Beauty zucchini were often dying by late summer when I've grown them.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It sounds counter productive but actually spraying them several times a day holds the mildew down. Just don't leave the foliage wet when the sun goes down.

Cason

Sprout
Reaction score
Angular Leaf spot? Fix= fixed copper + maneb - anyone know what the brand name/chemical to purchase would be? I need some asap.. this has invaded my greenhouse- I can't even use my greenhouse until I WIPE THIS OUT!!! Thanks.

Cason

Sprout
Reaction score
(I had some links to post, but wasn't allowed, since I'm 'new') lol

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You've got to spend a lot of time squishing cucumber beetles! I have noticed the problem is worse, when the plant is stressed. Very important to keep them watered and allow air flow. I trained mine up tomato cages last year, and that really helped. Good luck!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cason, maneb is manganese ethylene bisdithiocarbamate.

DuPont makes a number of these pesticides in combination. For example, they may use a combination of zinc and copper with manganese ethylene bisdithiocarbamate.

I don't know if an applicator's license is required for purchase and use. The enclosed environment of a greenhouse may have special restrictions. Contacting your county Cooperative Extension office for questions about these kind of agricultural pesticides seems to me to be the best route for you to go.

Cooperative Extension System

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Neem is a good treatment for both the beeetles and the mildew. A little pricey though if you get pure Neem.

Latest posts