Wilted tomato plant question

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
WOW! Your compost had herbicide. WE REALLY need to put our heads together on how to correctly compost horse, cow, chicken, rabbit manure. My problem is pasture weeds. But I don't have herbicide residue.
27 bags of black kow composted manure went in this year. She wanted to be the gardener this year so I thought it would be a good thing to do. I have never had this much trouble before, but I also noticed it was not available for sale in our usual stores so I wondered if they realized the problem and yanked it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really find it hard to believe anyone has “herbicide” issues anymore. As most AG herbicides only last 3-4 weeks. Now what they might have treated the bags with to keep molds, etc out, I have no idea. That is why it is important (regulated) that only educated professionals handle chemistry.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Really find it hard to believe anyone has “herbicide” issues anymore. As most AG herbicides only last 3-4 weeks. Now what they might have treated the bags with to keep molds, etc out, I have no idea. That is why it is important (regulated) that only educated professionals handle chemistry.
While aminopyralid has been banned in Europe, it is still available for sale in the USA and has a half life that is measured in years. Pasture products like Grazon contain it. It is in a family of herbicides related to triclopyr.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
While accurate, the amounts used have been greatly reduced. So that the effective rate is back to lasting weeks. Now in pasture/lawn chems, in the hands of “idiots” they may use more than is allowed-thus the carryover.
One chemistry when it was released was used in pints/acres. Clean fields but made road sides and trees go white. Same chemistry is being used today, in 1-2 Oz/Acre. Effective carryover is now 3-4 weeks.
Plus any chemistry that is effective should be destroyed by the time it is on crops plus the grain is fed while chemistry is in fodder. Dairy feed is very well monitored as is their milk for any problems. Horses being an exception as they are fed grass hay that maybe raised by idiots and it doesn’t stay in their system very long.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
While accurate, the amounts used have been greatly reduced. So that the effective rate is back to lasting weeks. Now in pasture/lawn chems, in the hands of “idiots” they may use more than is allowed-thus the carryover.
One chemistry when it was released was used in pints/acres. Clean fields but made road sides and trees go white. Same chemistry is being used today, in 1-2 Oz/Acre. Effective carryover is now 3-4 weeks.
Plus any chemistry that is effective should be destroyed by the time it is on crops plus the grain is fed while chemistry is in fodder. Dairy feed is very well monitored as is their milk for any problems. Horses being an exception as they are fed grass hay that maybe raised by idiots and it doesn’t stay in their system very long.
Another aspect that I suspect is relevant but have nothing but my experience to go on is reduction of oxidation activity due to plastic bagging and big compost piles. I usually do not till in and thus bury a cubic yard of black kow into my garden. While it would get put in a planting hole or itched in top, I would have one plant, or 2-3 show small effects and then it grew out of it. It made me think it was me doing something. I think I heard someone in a video saying it was rendered enert via oxidation anyway.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can’t say on oxidation but makes sense. Usually heat/moisture breaks chemistry up. Why dry falls/winters use to mean chemical carryover-use to be very common.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can’t say on oxidation but makes sense. Usually heat/moisture breaks chemistry up. Why dry falls/winters use to mean chemical carryover-use to be very common.
Everybody says biodome eats it up too, but that requires oxygen too as far as I know.

This image demonstrates the stairstepping characteristic of aminopyralid influenced growth.
IMG_20200614_190940.jpg

Latest posts