wind... geee!

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
when is wind ever going to end? its been very windy here everyday! its been putting a lot of stressed on my plants. Does that means dryer summer? I hope not!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got gusts of high winds here this night, was hearing it loudly just a minute ago, look out the window now at the blue sky sunrise about to happen, and it's as still as the moon now.

Wow, it's gonna be a pretty pretty day here at the lake!!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everywhere the weather affects everywhere else . . .

Your Great Basin wind, DL, is moving rain to Salt Lake City, to the north. The storm in Reno is moving south. On the west side of the Columbia Basin, the storm there is moving south. The storm in western Montana, that is moving north.

It is snowing in most of Montana north of Billings. That storm is sliding off to the northeast, maybe to get away from the confusion in the West. Meanwhile, there has been what looks like a severe storm in Chicago. I can imagine really nasty weather in southern and eastern Wisconsin. All that is moving to the northeast. Smaller storm in southern Missouri heading northeast, too.

Northern Arizona may get snow soon, DL. We must have missed the 30% chance of snow this morning. The sky was very dark and stormy-looking at 5am when I was out. That's about half an hour before "civil twilight" now but there was a blaze of light in the east that almost looked like a searchlight . . . but, another gloomy day. The New Moon is 2 days off maybe we will have a clear sky in the evening soon, to see the stars. Don't allow the stars be blown away, DL!

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dry summer? I sure hope not.

I'll get a constand south wind here until June. That can be really drying to my plants, especially transplants. I often put a wind break of some sort on the south side when I transplant things. Usually that just means hilling up the dirt on the south side a few inches to give some relief until they get established.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If the rock pile at the big veggie garden wasn't on the north side whereas most of the wind comes from the south side - it would be a good candidate for a stone fence. I would really be happy to have one.

Here is a little information I had from Purdue to put on TEG last year: windbreak fences.

Here is the deal. If you build a fence, it will provide some protection up to 5 times its height. "Some" is an important word but it is generally fairly significant or so say the ag engineers. Think about it -- if your garden is 20 feet wide and your fence is 5' -- there's protection right across. If you have a little 2' fence right in your garden to protect a planting of something -- you have certainly done a good job for a 4' wide bed!

What could be a fence of a temporary nature right in the garden? Lots of gardeners put down plastic film as a mulch. What about using it like a "silt fence" where the bottom foot or so is buried in the soil and the top is held up by plastic ties. Now, if you were to do this all to construction code, " A single 100 foot (ft) run of silt fence may hold 50 tons of sediment in place." (link) Good Gracious - they are talking about mud! I think it is reasonable to think that something similar could be done in a garden for wind protection.

Steve

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
They say Phoenix got some rain and Flagstaff got some snow! Here IM covered with dirt from blowing dust storms.hoping for rain soon!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wind has been blowing here for a couple of months. i don't mind though, it keeps it a little cooler. I know the summer heat is on the way!

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
sure blew a lot here today. a lot of moisture coming up from the gulf. a cool front moves in tomorrow evening. somebody's going to get a stompin storm by the looks of it.

Latest posts