winter annual rye

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Farmers are using it here to break up hard, yellow clay. We've got in some fields compacted soils where water can't perculate very well. It's amazing that the 2nd year they've used it, the rye roots are 36" down in soil. Works better than tillage for that purpose.

For those that have that problem in their garden something to think about as it's cheap $.60/lb and you use 15#/ACRE.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am trying this for the first time, this year. I am doing it for the purpose of "green manure". I cut down my corn plot and spread the seed. A very few days later, I had a lovely green grass growing. It has been through several heavy frosts and some snow and continues to grow and is still green. Really neat stuff! I'll let you know how it is when we till it under in the spring!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I doubt it is too late. It comes up quick, certainly within 5 days. I would try it...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Winter rye germinates in soil down to 35F, if I remember right, but it requires more days to germinate at low temperatures and will make little growth. Maybe you should ask yourself when will it be turned under in the spring? When the ground freezes or it is snow-covered, there will not be any growth.

One thing about sowing a cover crop - the seeds themselves are of value as a fertilizer. I had to reconcile myself to that one spring after probably 90%+ of my field peas had died. With the cost of organic fertilizer, seed that costs $.50 to $1 per pound isn't very expensive as a fertilizer.

I don't think there's any chance that your rye will die over the winter - just saying that if it doesn't make much growth before you turn it under, it isn't a loss :).

Steve

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just called the garden center. They said I'd need 30 lbs for my 2500 sq. ft. garden at $1.50 a pound. Does this sound reasonable? If so, I don't think I'll invest $45 given the above comments about limited growth this late in the season.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! Johnny's Seed has winter rye 25# for $28.65 (1.14/lb) but shipping is $20 to Indiana, best I understand.

Fedco Seed charges $20.00 (.80/lb) for that bag of rye. Shipping to Indianapolis is $17.

You may be in an expensive garden center neighborhood, Schroeder.

Last time I bought organic fertilizer WHOLESALE it was $13.89/25lb bag (.56/lb). Gripes me . . . . :/ I buy chicken feed cheaper than that (and I'm very tempted to try chicken feed as a fertilizer :rolleyes:).

Steve

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My grandparents would plant winter rye in the hayfield here and bale it in spring for straw.

It would get waist high and the March winds would come in and make the whole field of it wave.

*** happy sigh ***

Sorry, that's all I know about winter rye. lol

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Schroeder said:
I just called the garden center. They said I'd need 30 lbs for my 2500 sq. ft. garden at $1.50 a pound. Does this sound reasonable?
It sounds like they are a garden center ;)

Try calling your local FEEDSTORE. (If you are in a city, local may entail a bit more driving, but there must be a feedstore around somewhere). See if they will sell you a small amount. If they will, it will be WAY cheaper. (If they sell it in sacks they won't split, or something like that, see if you can find gardening neighbors etc to share the cost)

FWIW, a quick google suggests sowing rates around 5-10 lbs per 1000 sq ft, less for farm type purposes; but look, it's not like there is something magic about a particular sowing rate, especially for a winter thing where weed suppression is not as important. Just buy what you can afford and chuck it on there, it will be better than nothing :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gosh I'm glad you posted this. My turkeys have a charming habit of kicking over their treat bowls, in which I was putting scratch that included winter rye. I went out back to check on how the grass was doing at previous tractor sites, and thought, "Wow, I guess the grass is coming in great with all that nitrogen!" Turns out it's the sprouting scratch grain waste. Good to know that the spillage is good for the garden.

And I have that clay problem seedcorn describes. Here in Massachusetts, we grow really wonderful rocks. ;)

Latest posts