Winter of Solitude

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
My winter season is usually very quiet with few visitors, perhaps one a week, maybe more, sometimes less. Visiting my nearest neighbor a mile away who I've known since 1965 has been my main socializing. He's moving in 9 days. I'll be helping him move. This will indeed be a winter of solitude. I am in most ways ready for this, but will mean some preparations. I am very lucky that I enjoy solitude, but now there will be usual release from it gone. Like, a bow drawn and released, tension and release. The preparation I personally am doing is making it that the tension of solitude must turn into solitude itself being the release. Unless one has lived away from the civilisation, and in it also, I think you'd be able to theoretically understand, but one of those things not fully understood. Solitude is a thing that has to be lived to fully know. The past 4 and a half years I now treat as the best preparation for full solitude possible.

It is not quite a true solitude! I have my very excellent cats who are my children. They always have "something going on". There will also be a few campers coming and going through winter...the one who wants to work on their site...the one whose wife told him to go chill somewhere, lol...the ones who want to come play in the snow...the board member coming to check on the plumbing or something...and I have the computer to socialize with old friends and family, and you guys!

I have my humor, and my music always. I have to make sure there is always "something going on". Next project for instance, fixing the thermostat in my car or installing a new muffler, or figuring out the solenoid's problems. See? prioritizing already.

I'm emotionally ready for it. Car. Fix it. One project at a time! Next thing I know, it'll be spring again :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spring again before you know it, that's for sure, Marshall !

The months go really quickly, at any time of the year. It will be a mere handful between now and Wednesday, March 20, 2013. That day will be here maybe even before we are ready for it!

I once led something of the same kind of life that you have. After college and a failed marriage, I returned to working on farms and, for a few years, they had no work for me during the winter. I lived off in the country.

When a farmer wanted me to work thru the winter in the equipment shed, I panicked. Rather than just say no, I said that I would be going to work at a greenhouse. I felt compelled to act on that and it meant quite a change. My few solitary years in country had come to an end.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, now a days with computers you can't really be alone, unless you choose not to log on! I think peace and quiet is good for the soul and just seeing the occasional person will keep you in touch with people. You have plenty to keep you busy with all the planning we do for next years gardens. I love reading your posts so keep them up.

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll sure be here barring any unforseen circumstances. Thank you for being so understanding.

Journey reminded me about a seed swap thing, and I'll try to get into postal mode and get some sent to you too.

Latest posts