Winter Ramblings

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the winter, I like to be able to get out of the house and go for little walks. I can't go often this time of year because there is usually snow and ice. And, I don't go far when I do get out -- rambling even across good terrain is fairly random, the way I walk.

The terrain has been mostly bare this month and, yesterday, DW and DD wanted to go out for some last minute shopping, an activity that has been going on since the first minute of the season. SIL wasn't home so I decided to visit a park not all that far from their home. Took my cane, as always.

I've been over this ground before - concrete sidewalks all the way. The guys who did the "flat work" pressed in their imprints with the year, at the street corners. The walk took me past houses that were mostly built about 85 or 100 years ago. I did find concrete that was laid in 1895, however!

So, what is on every block? Footprints! Invariably, they are child-size and, of course, the dogs have been here and there on their travels . . .

There are 100 year-old sycamores and oaks at the park. I couldn't help thinking that those children (and their pets) saw these trees when they were saplings. No doubt, the children grew old and are gone now. The trees are still there - bearing testimony to a tree planting tradition and a children's playground from an earlier time.

Are there sights that charm you on your winter walks?

Steve :cool:

Latest posts