winter squash: what kind is easy to grow?

oregonchick

Sprout
Reaction score
I have grown winter squash for a few years now with little produce! I was wondering what kinds are easy to grow? I live in NW OR.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It might be your soil. There isn't a single winter squash I planted that I didn't end up with a big harvest. Of course, I live near a pumpkin farm...so maybe it is just the region.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can grow acorn squash but they taste, funny :idunno. I have decided to blame my soil - it seems like the only explanation. Acorn should be the quickest Winter squash for you.

Are the plants having problems with mildew late in the season? How 'bout enuf bees for pollination? You may need to be out there with your paint brush moving pollen around, yourself ;).
Squash like the heat of summer :coolsun, are you getting enuf heat and sunshine?

Early Butternut works but Waltham Butternut fruits don't quite have time to mature in my garden. They won't keep a week after harvest.

Burgess Buttercups are the best for me. I've tried other kinds of buttercups and related Kabochas - they haven't done nearly as well. (And, Burgess makes really good "pumpkin" pie :)! )

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
In NE Indiana I get loads of butternut squash. It's the only one I enjoy growing as acorns are too stringy for me. Like Hubbard but once cooked, eat it for monthes before it's gone.

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i have started acorn and butternut along with a local regular here that resembles a small, green pumpkin. this is my first time growing squash.

I have also started green and yellow zucchini. this is my first year making a good go of gardening and so i'm just throwing everything up at the wall to see what sticks.

oregonchick

Sprout
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
It might be your soil. There isn't a single winter squash I planted that I didn't end up with a big harvest. Of course, I live near a pumpkin farm...so maybe it is just the region.
I'm sure it's not the region, so it could be my soil maybe. What would good squash soil be like? Is this a ph issue? I add cow manure every year and have added enough sand for good drainage.
I tried waltham butternut and only got one mature fruit from 3 or 4 plants and that was at the very end of the season even though I started the plants indoors early. I also grew black table ace acorn squash and got skunked! We did have a blah :/ kind of season last year, cold spring and off and on summer! So maybe I will try again and use the suggestions that all of you are sharing with me. Thanks everyone!!:D

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Well, soil in Colorado tends to be more alkaline.

A few years ago I had 1 spaghetti squash plant and got about 2 dozen large squash.
Holy Moly...this year will be the first time I've tried spag. squash. If I get this many I'll be setting up a roadside stand! lol
Oregonchick: I am once again preaching the gospel of the soil test! lol The only way to know for sure if it's a Ph/soil issue is to get a good soil test. Call the county extension office.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
oregonchick said:
wifezilla said:
I'm sure it's not the region, so it could be my soil maybe. What would good squash soil be like? Is this a ph issue? I add cow manure every year and have added enough sand for good drainage.
I tried waltham butternut and only got one mature fruit from 3 or 4 plants and that was at the very end of the season even though I started the plants indoors early. I also grew black table ace acorn squash and got skunked! We did have a blah :/ kind of season last year, cold spring and off and on summer! So maybe I will try again and use the suggestions that all of you are sharing with me. Thanks everyone!!:D
I wonder if you are applying too much cow manure (nitrogen) that makes the plant set a lot of vegetation but not fruits......

You don't need to add a lot of manure--is it composted or raw? My best guess from this additional data is too much nitrogen.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
oregonchick said:
. . . We did have a blah :/ kind of season last year, cold spring and off and on summer! So maybe I will try again and use the suggestions that all of you are sharing with me. Thanks everyone!!:D
Your stormy Spring weather last year invaded the interior, Big Time! I had melon plants die under the gray skies. Cukes did poorly - the worse year for cucumbers that I can remember. The pumpkins and winter squash did barely okay :/.

And you know what, Oregonchick? This year is looking a lot like last . . . But, we are going to have plenty of blue sky and sunshine soon, right :coolsun?

Steve
:fl

Latest posts