Winter Squash

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love summer squash, but other than pumpkin I have never ate a winter squash. I would love to try some winter squash and was wondering what to try. I have started a spaghetti squash and an acorn squash. I understand to use spaghetti squash like pasta and acorn in soup. What other squashes can I try this fall? I like all foods except liver, grapefruit and rutabaga.

I will be planting in late August.....

Turnips
Collards
Cabbage
Beets
Carrots
Radish
Spaghetti Squash
Acorn Squash
Broccoli
Lettuce

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oooopps, I thought Winter Squash meant it grew in the winter. My bad, I may be too late to plant some. It frosts here in late October, my average frost date is 10/25.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check the seed packs for days to maturity. You may still have time... I love winter squash and am growing a large patch of it right now!! Hopefully, I will have plenty for storage! Good luck with your second planting!

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:lol: I used to think the same thing!

Try butternut squash, I think it's fantastic! I love butternut squash soup, with a touch of cyanne pepper... :drool

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you have time for winter squash but don't waste a lot of time getting it planted. From looking at seed packet availability and such, I'd think Butternut is probably the favorite. I agree it is very good. I also like the flavor and texture of Delicata. Personal preference is just that though. If someone did not like them, they would not be available.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So where do you guys plant all this squash at the same time? I have 3 squash plants and 1 zucchini and I couldn't plant my pumpkins I wanted. These dang thing take up some much room. I have some nice shaded areas I would throw some seeds in, but what squash does well in shade? I just need to take down some trees so I can have a bigger area. I'm so jealous of some of the pictures you guys have. :(

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dang, I'm just slow.......

I just googled "winter squash in a raised bed" and got companion planting with corn. I have 6 huge rows of corn in the "shared" garden at my grandmothers house. I will go out tonight and plant some seeds by the corn which has come up nicely. Should I just plant on the ends of the rows so they will get good sun?

Also, should I next year plant the squash at the same time I plant the corn? Or is it too early and the corn needs to get a foot or so tall? TIA, Melissa

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Try the bush varieties of Winter squash. They usually mature faster. Bush acorn matures 30 days earlier than the vineing variety.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks hoodat!! BTW, I just sent out your pepper today!!! The last time I sent something to CA from GA it took about a week. I used to live in Turlock, CA right smack dab in the middle of CA in the valley. I used to think CA was all Big Lights and Big City, well I lived with a Dairy farm on one side and lots of orchards and vineyards on the other. Boy was that culture shock for me!!! lol

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've never had acorn squash in soup. This is how I cook it:

Cut acorn squashes in half and clean out seeds. Put a little butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in the hole and bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees until they are soft. (not sure on the exact time, I haven't cooked it in a long time) When you eat it, squish it all up so the butter and sugar and cinnamon get mixed in. Yummy!