Winterizing Asparagus in West Central Wisconsin

ilovechickens

Sprout
Reaction score
This is our first year with Asparagus, and we are getting to put to bed our asparagus, raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries. We are okay on strawberries and blueberries, but not on raspberries and asparagus. Please help me to put to bed correctly our asparagus and raspberries:barnie:idunno

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Asparagus needs winterizing?? I think most people around here might throw some mulch on once the ground freezes but not much else. Don't grow it myself alas (DH loathes the smell).

Prolly someone else will wander by with better info but it is generally a VERY hardy plant.

Pat

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here in central Indiana-zone 5, we just do as Pat suggested also. Throw some mulch on them and wait for spring. I like to use dead leaves as my mulch for plants like this.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We use the clippings from the last couple times of mowing the yard to cover ours. If this doesn't get it all the way there then I use a little straw. One of the most helpful things is when the plant is completely brown and dry cut them off before you cover. This will help from being able to "wick" in the cold to the roots. I put a little bit, maybe a heaping tblsp of 10-10-10 fert under the mulch before I put them to sleep too. Not sure if it helps but I always have more than we can eat in the spring.

Rasberries on the other hand, I wouldn't touch them. The are very very hardy and grow in the wild without any problems what so ever. If you are worried about the you can add some of the clipping suggested before just to ease your mind.

Hobby

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am lazy, I never do anything other than rake a bunch of leaves over them and call it good. Seems to work, my asparagus invades all the neighboring beds and survives dogs chewing and rolling in the ferns.

Per Rodale's Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening, you're supposed to thin the raspberry canes to 10 canes/yard and tie them to a fence or something ~2-3 feet tall so they will grow out easier to pick the next year. Then you put some compost and straw around the bottom.

Glad you mentioned that, I need to thin my monster berry patch today. I would have forgotten, had you not asked.

Latest posts