Winterizing help quick please :)

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok, it's going to be 25 degrees F tonight. I have some strawberry plants growing in plastic soil bags outside (they are doing quite well actually)

What do I do with them

THINK FAST!

LOL

Should I cover them up with leaves or something? :/

Cassandra

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Either put them in an unheated out-building or yes, cover them in mulch or sawdust or some-such. You only would need to cover the root portion, unless of course you want to cheat winter. ;)

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am fine with them hibernating over the winter! :) I got them from a local freecycle neighbor while she was thinning hers. And the good old internet said plant them in the early fall (which I did.) And they have sprung up and gotten lots of new green in the last month.

I will try to cover them up as soon as I get home from work. I really don't know a thing about growing strawberries. But we love them so much. It would be great if we could grow our own.

Cassandra

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Strawberries tend to be pretty easy to grow. They should be fine. :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Strawberries are pretty frost-hardy. I don't know if y'all grow different varieties down there, but here (and there are LOTS of pick-your-own and market-garden strawberry operations in the area) the only thing that farmers do is cover the rows with straw AFTER the ground freezes.

Unless you're planning on protecting them every time you get a cold snap all winter, or these are some strange southern strawberries that don't Do cold, I'd say just ignore 'em, frankly. LET them frost. They'll be back.

Good luck,

Pat, where the outside temperature is around 20F right now and we've been down to almost 0F already.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep. I thought at first that Cassandra had her berries bare-root in plastic bags, but then I realized she meant they were essentially in raised beds (large bags of soil above ground). As long as they are in the ground (or raised bed) they will take a lot of abuse.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ohhhhhh. See it makes so much sense when Y'ALL say it. LOL (I told you I know nothing about strawberries.)

I did pile some fluffy dried birch leaves on top of my multiplyer onions, though. They don't densely pack. They are big light leaves that I have to rake back over there every time we have a windy day. LOL

Cassandra

Latest posts