Winterizing Terra - Cotta

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This spring I bought 2 terra-cotta pots about the size of half wine barrels. Each has a tree planted in it and are very heavy. Somewhere in back of my mind, there was a waterproofing spray for terra -cotta that allowed it to be left out all winter. Does anyone know of a product that will winterize pots ? Or do I need to call in the muscle.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You may be able to waterproof the outside of the terra cotta, but the soil inside is moist and that is going to mean the pottery is moist also, and you know what happens to water when it freezes....broken dreams.

The only pots I'm aware of that are truly winter proof are the ones that have been fired 7 times. They're a lot more expensive, but there is no expansion and contraction in the little pores of clay so they hold up to frozen soil left inside.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've wrapped the top in plastic in time to let the soil dry before it gets too cold and gotten away with it. :D Bone dry soil won't expand when temps drop below freezing. I also think having perlite in the planting medium can help by providing some "give". But is sounds like you have trees in them . . .

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm so glad I can leave my hugh pots outside all winter. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't. I have some that are bigger than half wine barrels.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've wrapped the top in plastic in time to let the soil dry before it gets too cold and gotten away with it. :D Bone dry soil won't expand when temps drop below freezing. I also think having perlite in the planting medium can help by providing some "give". But is sounds like you have trees in them . . .

Another trick is to put some two liter soda bottles in with the soil when you plant. When the soil expands the bottles take the pressure off the pots walls.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the terra cotta absorbs moisture if it is not fired on the inside and out. That moisture that is in the walls of the pot is what freezes and expands. Not 100% sure on this, but a regular old clay flower pot can get saturated pretty easily, then in the spring it flakes apart like mica.

Latest posts