Wisconsin/Zone 4 planting dates

chickenchalupa

Leafing Out
Reaction score
With all this warm weather we're having here, I'm don't know when to plant things in case the weather holds. When are you guys planting stuff? Indoors or out? Any advice/imput would be appreciated! Thanks!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
chickenchalupa said:
With all this warm weather we're having here, I'm don't know when to plant things in case the weather holds. When are you guys planting stuff? Indoors or out? Any advice/imput would be appreciated! Thanks!
I did not see what your area is, but I live in mid missouri, and we have had some awesome planting weather this past week, however, we are supposed to get snow and cold nights this weekend. I would look up my planting zone, see what is recommended, start things that would be practical indoors about 6 weeks before the recommended planting date, then set them out a week or so after the last frost date listed for your area.
I have tomatoes peppers and cabbage started indoors. They are going to be pretty big by planting time. Hope I did not get over anxious, I have always had problems starting peppers , but after reading all the discussions on here, I have had out standing results this time.
EDITED to say: If I had read your title more closely, I would have known your zone..this aging stuff is the pitts!

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I live in zone 4b (Minneapolis) and start my seeds the 2nd week of April and don't plant them in the garden until 1st of June.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:frow Well, I'm not in WI, but our planting dates may be close ...

My average last frost is May 15, however I have learned that gambling with Old Man Frost is futile.
I rarely plant any tender plants out before the last weekend in May.

I also have jumped the gun, starting some things inside too early over the years.
This guide works well for me ... counting the weeks back from May 29.
Starting Seed Indoors

I started onion seed inside Feb.14
peppers, inside March 18
tomatoes, I started a few March 18 that I plan to plant in large pots and can keep in the porch until safe from frost. Most will be started April 4 ( worked very well for me the last few years) They will get re-potted at about 3-4 weeks to 4" pots or beer cups.

Cool tolerant plants... it really depends on Spring weather, soil temps, and when I can get in the garden... Usually the first part of May.

I'm probably a bit overly cautious, but I've learned to appreciate low stress gardening ... :D

chickenchalupa

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Is it too late to start onion seeds? I ordered some seeds online, but they have taken forever to ship, i still haven't gotten them yet...
I hope it isn't too late!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
chickenchalupa said:
Is it too late to start onion seeds? I ordered some seeds online, but they have taken forever to ship, i still haven't gotten them yet...
I hope it isn't too late!
I usually buy onion starts (seedlings) from the nursery in May.
This is my first year starting them from seed, using the guide from the U of M .

If you get them soon, you would still have about 8 weeks to get them going and get them in the garden in May.
Much later and ... :hu I might start some, but also pick up some seedlings or sets.

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
chicken:

The seeds I start are: broccoli; Brussels sprouts; yellow squash; zucchini; winter squashes; cantaloupe; green peppers; tomatoes; cucumbers; cauliflower; the herb 'borage' which attracts bees for pollination; and, about '72' marigolds to plant IN the garden amongst my veggies which HAS kept harmful bugs/insects from damaging my crops.

Seeds I plant directly in the ground: corn; pole green beans; pole lima beans; Swiss chard; bok choi; sugar-pie pumpkings (which I grow in the aisles of the corn patch, and their vines spread throughout the corn patch); turnips; and, bush cannellini beans.

I grow whole onions from onion sets.

Since the yellow squash and zucchini take up a lot of space, I grow them OUTSIDE the garden area in a triangle piece of ground I have between the patio and the deck stairs.

And, since the winter squashes and cantaloupe are VINING crops and need a lot of space to grow & spread, I grow them VERTICALLY next to the chain-link fence which I train on the fence as it spreads and then 'support' the heavy squashs and melons when they get big by saving those mesh bags that oranges come in to put under the squashes and melons and attaching to the fence. Not only growing these crops VERTICALLY saves space; but, it also keeps these crops off the ground.

As I've said many times on this forum, I have had great success for many years growing various types of leaf lettuces and spinach in those long, rectangular, plastic, containers which I keep on the ledge of the deck. Not only is it convenient to walk out on the deck to pick lettuce & spinach for salads; but, since these crops are NOT in the garden area, the rabbits can N O T get to them!

chickenchalupa

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for your advice! I placed my order at Fedco Seeds about a week and a half ago and i'm still waiting...