Wishin's New Baby

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well the elusive white blackberry is now in my possesion. I drove up to Santa Rosa and spent a pleasant 15 minutes with the Chairperson of the volunteer group. Apparently everyone was asking for it at their annual plant sale. It wasn't until after I wrote a very nice persuasive email that they found one in the corner of the greenhouse where misplaced plants are. It will soon go to Wishin who has been trying to find one for some time. The plant is 21 inches tall. I need ideas on how best to ship it. I'm nervous having it in my possesion and I can't wait for Wishin to have it. The next one goes to Marshall.

Mary

photo (11).JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awww...baymule :oops:...you're just saying that cause you adopted me. :love ps. I hope I'm making seedcorn jealous.:lol:

Mary

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ninnymary has anyone told you that you are a selfless, generous, kind, best garden friend anyone could ever have? Well, I just did. You are awesome!
Definitely! Thank you so much:hugs:hugs I wish I could say that to you in person.
Awww...baymule :oops:...you're just saying that cause you adopted me. :love ps. I hope I'm making seedcorn jealous.:lol:

Mary
:lol:

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate I am so exited about my baby :D I know it is in very good hands Mary:)
I have no clue how it should be shipped:\ I will have to research that tonight. Thank you soooo much Mary :hugs:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm. I don't mean to act as tho' I really have lots of experience but I've just been around people who ship plants, daily. Finally, I had some notion of what they were up to. (Someone else may know a more civilized method.)

They would have 2 boxes, 1 larger than the other and both not much bigger than the height and width of the plant & its pot.

Then, they'd take 2 short boards (1 by 2's), the same length as the smaller box is wide.

The plant & pot would go into the smaller box. The short boards would be laid across the top of the pot, on either side of the plant stem. A staple gun would drive staples thru the cardboard of the box and into the boards. That will pin the pot against the bottom of the box. It can't even bounce.

This box is now sealed, wrapped in insulation material and placed in the larger box. That box is sealed, an address is put on it and off it goes.

In my memory, it's really simple. The only trick is having those 2 board cleats and firing your staples in to secure them and the pot that they hold.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, the boards keep the pot from moving but what do you do to the plant if anything. It's fairly tall. It won't get smashed? Do you wrap it in bubble wrap?

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wishin, when you wrote that original thread asking us if your post to that other person was rude, did you think you would ever get the white blackberry?

Mary

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wishin, when you wrote that original thread asking us if your post to that other person was rude, did you think you would ever get the white blackberry?

Mary

Honestly I did not :) I had continued to search, and continued to get no response or a rude response, after a while I gave up :hide. Actually when you offered I didn't expect you to find one, and if you happened to find one, I didn't expect you to be able to attain it, and if you did by some crazy chance succeed in attaining them I figured you would keep the first plant, and eventually if you remembered :hide you would send me a cutting/start/or seeds.:hide:hide:hide Sorry I doubted you, :hide:hide:hide It isn't that I doubted your sincerity when you offered, but I am not the person to ask or remind people about things for myself:hide It makes me feel rude and uncomfortable,:hide a lot of things are easily forgotten in a year or two, I estimated that would be about the length of time it would take to get seeds,cuttings ect. from your original plant.
You have made me SO HAPPY!!!:weee:weee Mary.

Latest posts