Wisteria and Morning Glory together?

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was wondering..
if I were to build a trellis over my driveway to hold up japanese wisteria (spring blooming) could I grow morning glories over the top of the top of the wisteria then just rip out what I can of the morning glories after they are spent?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
WOw... it sounds pretty. It will require a lot of attention though. Both those plants are VERY invasive and not considered native to your area.

There are a few types of wisteria though, if you do a search, one is less invasive then others.

Still I would be careful... morning glory can self sow like crazy as well.

I would chose one over the other rather then both if you needed to.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do the exact thing- except I am in zone 4. I have no worries about invasive plants! Winter takes care of that problem. Once the wisteria grows a bit you won't need the morning glories. I started mine on one side of a trellis and did the morning glories on the other. It didn't take more than a couple years for the wisteria to cross the entire trellis. (It is about 15 feet wide.) These are both plants I love, but I would listen to vfem, she knows these plants in the south, where they can be a problem... Enjoy!!

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Gee Sarah,

I'd be careful with those Morning Glories. You just can't rid of them and they bind around everything.

Inchworm
zone 6

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ive grown them a good few times in the past. I have PLENTY of time to trim and train them

I do not fear the glory!
:lol: