Wisteria

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Two things....I transplanted a piece of my Wisteria to my other home...it grew like crazy...but NEVER has flowered.....The mother plant flowers like mad.....anyone know why no blooms? And....does anyone know if Wisteria is poisoness to livestock? I want to transplant some more vines...but I'm afraid some may grow over too close to the chicken yards and/or the sheep pasture. I think it would look nice climbing on the poultry fences..... Thanks:)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rusty, it could be a number of things
1. it may not be old enough, seedlings can take up to 10 years to bloom, (although it sounds like you vegetatively reproduced yours)
2. could be freeze damage to the buds
3. too much nitrogen. If it's old enough to be blooming it will do best with a low nitrogen fertilizer, something heavier on phosphorous and potassium.Wisterias form buds in early summer for the next season so be careful about pruning.
Hope this helps :)

edited to add: oh yeah, and they are poisonous, all parts of the plant, but especially the seeds and pods, so you probably don't want to plant it around your chicken pen. Darn.
I have hops (humulus lupus(?) ) and my chickens have eaten it a bit and they're fine, plus it grows like crazy and covers quickly.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks...This helps..... I've dug up pieces carefully and transplanted.....no flowers....I'm thinking (like you said)....freeze damage to the new buds.... My transplants are in a less protective area....and I guess I won't plant near the chickens....POOP!!! :( I thought it would look nice....I have tons of hops as well....I like the little hops clusters.... I need a vine with some flowers and color....Hey how about Trumpet vine....would that work? Probably toxic as well....:/ Again...Thanks

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rustyd, it took more than 10 years for my wisteria to bloom, here in zone 4. If we have a late frost, I always loose my buds. As you know, when it does bloom- it is well worth the wait!
I had planted trumpet vine along the fence, which later became part of the chicken yard. I did not move the vine and the chickens never bother it. The thing I have learned about planting on the fences surrounding the chickens...is to plant on the non-chicken side of the fence and to make sure the seed or plant is not in reach of the chickens. Who knew they could stretch their necks out 6 inches through chain link??
I also have clematis growing on that fence- I am sure that is probably bad for them, too. Again, they never touch it. I have had some success with pole beans- as long as the seeds are far enough away! Good luck! Let us know what you decide....

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the help...I've got 'til Spring to decide...I may just move some of my younger Lilacs.....:)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lilacs are a great idea! I planted some right in my chicken yard- and they never bother them!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did have a wonderful Red-bud tree in the middle of my bigger chicken yard until one of my sheep broke in and girdled the trunk....lost the tree.....I have a very umbrella-like Weeping Willow in one corner of the chicken yard....the birds like jumping up and picking bugs off the wispy twigs.....like Jack-in-the Boxes....boing!! boing!!!:D

Latest posts