Wonder why I didn't know this

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The North Carolina numbers probably included Tennessee. At the time I believe all of Tennessee was one county in North Carolina. I'm not sure who got the Ohio numbers, probably Virginia. The way I understand it a few states tried to claim the Ohio territory. I'd guess the Southwest Territory was present day Alabama and Mississippi.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am not sure that the 2020 census was properly conducted, since I KNOW that New York and California have lost population. Certainly Illinois is much smaller than the census reports. Just sayin'.
Democrats cobbled together 2 Republican districts and the state looks like a mirror image of the hand that grabs you and takes you out of the room.
1656858995519.png

Attachments

• 1656858700913.png
    1656858700913.png
    325.9 KB · Views: 81

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A recent LDS family search information has a Revolutionary War veteran in my ancestry.

He enlisted in June 1777 with his younger brother, who was only 16 or 17. The younger brother died the same year at Valley Forge. In a Virginia regiment, it was very possible that he had already been involved in a number of engagements with the enemy. He must have been a very early casualty of the disease, exposure and malnutrition that swept through Valley Forge. Washington and the troops didn't arrive there until December.

The older brother survived the war and there appear to be military records until 1779. He lived until 1825 and fathered 8 children.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I was a kid, 3 to 8yo when the family lived in West Chester, PA, and parents took out of town friends/family to Valley Forge ALL OF THE TIME...bc it was close.
Father's Mom was a member of the DAR. I guess if DD's wanted to be members they Could, plus DH is in a published family history, related to a certain "Nicholas Gibbs," veteran of the Revolution, who arrived in the colonies in 1744. The book is called, "The Nicholas Gibbs Society."
I THINK this is the same:
Supposedly, my father's family came here in 1685, Raleigh, NC, and we believe that he was a French Huegonot seeking religious freedom.
It's fun to find out your ancestry. :hugs Eldest DD will NOT use Ancestry.com bc She believes that you publish your DNA and make it available for the government. Too intrusive!!!
Therefore, LDS is really the best way to go,

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...Eldest DD will NOT use Ancestry.com bc She believes that you publish your DNA and make it available for the government. Too intrusive!!!
Therefore, LDS is really the best way to go,

if enough of your relatives submit their DNA it won't matter as they'd still have enough for tracking purposes. i'm pretty sure i have enough relatives that what is done is done. since i don't plan on doing any criminal things i don't really care.

i don't plan on doing anything like this. in fact it wasn't until yesterday that i knew Mom's Mom's maiden name or first name (i didn't also even know that she was actually married to my grandfather as she didn't stick around).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to stop looking at this stuff.

;) Found an uncle to my Great Grandmother who died at Andersonville Prison in Georgia. Union soldier in the Civil War, captured when he was 17 or 18, died less than 2 months later. Right there in "J Site" of the cemetery.

Much too sunny of a day - focus on gardening.

Steve
whose orphaned grandfather, on other side of the family, grew up with 2 southern veterans

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to stop looking at this stuff.

;) Found an uncle to my Great Grandmother who died at Anderson Prison in Georgia. Union soldier in the Civil War, captured when he was 17 or 18, died less than 2 months later. Right there in "J Site" of the cemetery.

Much too sunny of a day - focus on gardening.

Steve
who's orphaned grandfather, on other side of the family, grew up with 2 southern veterans

it can certainly suck you in. :)

Latest posts