Woodchuck nearly broke me

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat all traps are illegal or leg hold traps ?
I think even have a hart. We have an old one that no longer operates. We found grown woodchucks very hard to catch.. I get crazy when people tell me they relocate creatures they have caught. First of all it is illegal. It is relocating animals that cause rabies to spread all over the country. And I always say no one wants your woodchuck, mouse , coyotes or whatever you are relocating. I kew someone who would catch ea wood chuck go a few miles away from them selves-of course they come back. Hoping the poison works. Fencing seems better.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband said he saw have a have at tractor's supply-just the smaller one, though. So far the new and improved fence is holding up-or the poison worked.. Time will tell.Peas look like they grew a little but do not know if they can recover.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So my nemesis is back. I went out into the garden to see an enormous pile of beach sand. We have 2 feet at least of top soil in our garden , below that a gravely mix and then miles of beach sand. The actual hole to the tunnel was the biggest I have ever seen-8-10 inches across is my guess. We had been busy in the daylily beds and had not spent too mush time in the veggies for a day or 2. The woodchuck took advantage of that and found an old tunnel and carved out an entrance for himself. I did not see anything eaten which is a surprise. However they like tender veggies and my plants are more mature. I put a ton of poison down the hole. We will probably put a woodchuck bomb down there when the rain stops. The bombs only work if they happen to be home, and it is a new tunnel that does not have an escape opening yet.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first thought on the dimension of his burrow was that a concrete block would about fit.

But, my "rocks driven into burrow" technique for ground squirrels has not worked well for marmots. Marmots only average a little larger than a woodchuck. I'm sure that they have about the same strength.

Evidence of the ground squirrels would never surface again. The marmots would dig out right around the rocks. Best to use a more direct eradication program and the Best of Luck!

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first thought on the dimension of his burrow was that a concrete block would about fit.

But, my "rocks driven into burrow" technique for ground squirrels has not worked well for marmots. Marmots only average a little larger than a woodchuck. I'm sure that they have about the same strength.

Evidence of the ground squirrels would never surface again. The marmots would dig out right around the rocks. Best to use a more direct eradication program and the Best of Luck!

Steve
My metal fantasy is to pot concrete down the hole-of course they would dig around it. Hoping poison works-it seems to have kept them at bay in the past.

Latest posts