WOOHOO! they're finally here!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i just got my email from FedCo that my rootstock and scionwood is being sent! :weee
guess i need to read up again on the different grafts i could use!

update see post #9

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thats exciting Chickie's !! What type of fruit tree or if not a fruit tree will you graft? I myself have trees being shipped and know how exciting it is, now for Spring.

Lots of success with your grafts! ;)

Keep us posted this is interesting.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm trying my hand at grafting apple trees.

i already have 12 pieces of scionwood i bought off someone on ebay a month ago. i've kept them in the fridge till i got the rest of my supplies. i should have 5 more coming with my rootstock from Fedco. and i was going to put an order for 7 more through Masonville Orchards. everything is going to be grafted to Bud 9 rootstock so they should be dwarf to semi dwarf in size to fit more onto my 1 acre of land.

what i have so far received is Lady, Braeburn, Mutsu, Hudson's Golden Gem, Pomme Gris, Ashmead's Kernel, Cox Orange Pippen, Jonagold, Nova Spy, Winesap, Honey Gold and Lady Williams. i think i ordered from Fedco Sweet Sixteen, Granite Beauty, Honeycrisp, Keepsake, and i can't remember the 5th. through Masonvillie i was hoping to get Mollies Delicious, Mother, Cameo, Candy Crisp, Delcon, Old Fashioned Delicious, and Sun Crisp. i need to get that order in to them soon! :rolleyes:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Chickie, are you planning on being the New Hampshire Cider Queen? That's a lot of apples! :lol:

Will you take photos and show us all the progress? I'd love to follow it. I'd like to learn how to graft someday.

Looks like you are getting a lot of antique varieties in that mix too.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, my hubby took out one of my main pollinators with the lawnmower last summer, my red delicious. so i figured i probably should replace it to pollinate my Gala, Fuji and yellow delicious. i have some Pink Ladies (aka Cripps Pink) coming and i'm going to need something to pollinate that. so you could say i have a motive. :p and i really like a lot of the apples i have on my list.

i really liked some of the varieties i found when i read their descriptions. so i thought i would give them a shot. i happen to come across the ebay auction and noticed that a lot of the types being sold were decent pollinators and figured i should jump. i was only bidding on 10 scions but there were some extras thrown in when they arrived. it was definitely cheaper than buying trees from a supplier and it will give me a project to keep busy and learn something new.

i've really been bad this winter. i have about 20 grape cuttings i'm trying to get rooted. so far 3 have started budding and the rest i'm still watching.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i love those apples! Pink Lady is the trademarked selling name for the Cripps Pink. so the stores can sell it with the Pink Lady title but i noticed that the sticker on them always says Cripps Pink. there is also a Cripps Red and the Sun Crisp is supposed to be a close sibling but with yellow skin. i like the pink because they have a nice crisp texture, slightly tart but sweet flavor, not too much juice, and don't turn brown quickly. my sister loves them too so when i bought the trees i got them at a steal! it breaks down to $13.50/tree after shipping costs.
http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apple-trees/pink-lady-apple i got mine through Raintree in CA, because every time i try through Stark they are out or back ordered when they send the order :rolleyes:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
THEY'RE HERE! the rootstock and 5 scions from FedCo just arrived. the UPS guy never even rang or knocked on the door :rant good thing i can see when someone passes by the window to the door or i might not have known they came till i went outside. and of course my dog is always one the alert for strange noises. :rolleyes:

i remember now the 5 scion! it's New Hampshire 9.
rootstock for grafting the scions too. Bud 9's 30 of them!
6704_2013bud9rootstock.jpg

the scions for grafting. they are roughly 8" long and should make a couple grafts each if i wanted to.
6704_2013applescion.jpg

i'll give these about a day to warm up a little. i'm also waiting for my grafting tape to arrive. hope that comes tomorrow. :)

Latest posts