Wooly Aphid

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So this is a new one for me. I was out watering my apple trees and noticed what appeared to be a fungus but I guess is actually a wooly aphid.

Anyone have personal experience with dealing with this and successfully getting rid of it? Never ran into this before. So many new things on 10 acres of grass and trees :)

20180814_193735_HDR.jpg 20180814_193730_HDR.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, that's ugly! I haven't dealt with the woolies, but since they're kind of all clumped together like that it shouldn't be too hard to knock them down with the hose.

We get some kind of flying aphid in the fall, my brain has deserted me and I can't remember the name...I think they are Ash aphids maybe?
Anyway they are prevalent in the air just sort of floating around but supposedly don't really do much harm. They are gray and fuzzy like yours.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks. I had heard of some people just spraying them off but that seemed almost too good to be true

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
https://extension.psu.edu/tree-fruit-insect-pest-woolly-apple-aphid

This apparently is the same aphid but it discusses how apples fit into the life cycle. And it talks about them going to the roots. Note the recommendation to not use pesticides as that kills the critters that eat them.

I did not see an effective management technique, certainly no product designed to control them. You might chat with your local extension office and see if they have any specific recommendations.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
https://extension.psu.edu/tree-fruit-insect-pest-woolly-apple-aphid

This apparently is the same aphid but it discusses how apples fit into the life cycle. And it talks about them going to the roots. Note the recommendation to not use pesticides as that kills the critters that eat them.

I did not see an effective management technique, certainly no product designed to control them. You might chat with your local extension office and see if they have any specific recommendations.

Thanks. Funny, I'm actually a MN Master Naturalist but I rarely ever think to turn to the Extension office for help on things they would specifically be useful for. Thanks for the reminder. I just dropped them a note with pictures

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks. Funny, I'm actually a MN Master Naturalist but I rarely ever think to turn to the Extension office for help on things they would specifically be useful for. Thanks for the reminder. I just dropped them a note with pictures

They said to cut the branch if it won't be too detrimental to the tree. Otherwise try neem oil, but cutting would be best