Woot!!! I am so excited! 2 new butterfly bush cuttings rooted

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well this experiment went well. 2 pots with 2 different cuttings. 1 with rootone and one without rootone. Both pots are in the shade and in the same spot. The one with rootone has yet to give me a rooted cutting and some of the plants are wilting. The one without rootone has 2 rooted cuttings. I just put them in there permanent spot to see how they do. I really did not want white butterfly bush's but oh well. Hopefully next year I can get my black knights to root :)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome! I have tried to root thing with various degrees of success. I tried clymeria, gardenia, butterfly weed, roses. and so far only thing I got was gardenias and butterfly weeds. Which is awesome cause a gardenia is quite expensive! and so are the butterfly weeds. I never see them cheap than 6 bucks! They are some of my favorite plants so gorgeous!

But I need to do more butterfly weed and try the roses again. I only got 3 bF weeds and I totally NEED more, probably like 30!

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I love butterfly weeds but every time I try to grow them by seed they die. All I did was get some moist soil and then stick in the stems and put it into the shade. Maybe I will try again. I still have to take pics of the butterfly bush and put it on here. I watched 3 skipper butterflies chase each other all over the flowers. and my cat bambi got attacked by a rabid swallow tail butterfly.

Edited to add - This is my 4th time trying to root a butterfly bush with actual success LOL

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ok don't know what I am doing here but, my bushes just multiply without me trying. I started out with 3 bushes now the whole flower bed is infested with little shoots. I dug up about 6 to put all over the yard and more shoots are coming. I love how I have butterflies fluttering everywhere now.

All I do is cut the dead blooms off. Yeah some seed falls on the ground (maybe that is what is happening) and in the late fall cut them back to the ground and cover up with leaves.

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thats us with our blackberry bush. It was really small and now its about the size of a car. And we have more growing down the hill. I had 2 white butterfly bushes which I thought were (Black Knights) but one died of root rot I think. The other one keeps on growing. I recently purchased a black knight thats about 8" tall. I plan to propagate that one next year and maybe sell the babies.

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
OK I totally forgot the pot with the 2 cutting with hormone on it and they rooted well. I just popped them into the ground. These ones were semi-hardwood cuttings. Out of 8 cuttings 4 survived. Next I will be doing some ebay seeds in the aerogarden.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL! I pull them out of my yard as they seed everywhere! I think you will have tons of success rooting without hormones. Budellas are easy and love to cooperate! Good luck :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This cutting thing has always given me problems! I'm getting ready to take more cuttings of my hydrangea, which I've failed with many times now. I did take cuttings of my grapes in the spring, and they did well.... totally flipped me out on that one!!!

I should get cuttings from my mom's black knight butterfly bush... since I'm the one who prunes it every year! LOL

I'm glad this has inspired you... you've inspired me! :D

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I will have a pic of my one lone survivor. The others got ran over by the mower. Got to remember to put chicken fencing over them LOL. I will do it again next year if I have room for them. I have tried hydrangea bush's and finally gave up on them. I saw a nikko blue that I wanted so bad. The guy gave me 5 cuttings but they never took root after a month. I have a black knight bush that I plopped into the ground. If it does well next year I am going to root some cuttings for ebay and for myself :) .