Workin' Them Peppers Part II

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, I started these babies on the grill/smoker with mesquite (we have honey mesquites) as the only cooking-smoking agent. I would guess I had started them yesterday about 4 p.m. I kept at a slow cook and added my final big logs at 10 p.m. last night. I pulled them from the grill just a couple of hours ago and now they will go into my dehydrator probably at least until tonight. It will depend how dry they are by then (I want them dry, dry, dry). Roger tried a small bite of one before I put them in the dehydrator and said they were hotter than the habanero's! I have never made these before but if they turn out good I bet I will be doing a LOT more :D

Anyway, they are drying now and the whole house smells scrumptious! Here they are on the way to the dehydrator (there are 4 racks in this stack).

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oohh! I bet they smell wonderful. (And, this explains the chunks of firewood in your garden cart with the peppers. One stop shopping . . . ;))

Dad grew up in Las Cruces, as I've said before. But, we have no history of roasting peppers. Here's what DW & I did last year and will do again in about a week as the sweets ripen:

4989_harvest_014.jpg

Then they go into the food processor and from there to sandwich bags and the freezer.

harvest016.jpg

All winter, we have peppers to add to soups and sauces and such!

Steve

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Speaking of peppers.........sorry probably wrong thread........I brought in 2 lovely hot pepper plants .. for the winter...they bloom like crazy then drop the blossom... will the "toothbrush method work .. or will I have to but that blossom set stuff at $7.00 per can?

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How long have you had them indoors? Are they dropping blossoms they already had or are they dropping new blossoms? I say if they are dropping blossoms they already had they may just be going into shock from the change and are dropping their blossoms to focus on survival instead of production. If they are droping new blossoms then perhaps try a liquid fertilizer and use a soft bristled toothbrush to go from bloom to bloom to pollinate. Maybe that will help :)

How does thei soil feel (wet or dry)? How much sun are they getting?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow Steve,

Everything is to the brim in your kitchen! What is your secret? LOL

If I don't spare an inch on the level I might as well consider it spilled. I am assuming you simmered this? .... My eyes want to scream! LOL

Ron :ep

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Re: Workin' Them Peppers Part IIHow long have you had them indoors? Are they dropping blossoms they already had or are they dropping new blossoms? I say if they are dropping blossoms they already had they may just be going into shock from the change and are dropping their blossoms to focus on survival instead of production. If they are droping new blossoms then perhaps try a liquid fertilizer and use a soft bristled toothbrush to go from bloom to bloom to pollinate. Maybe that will help

How does thei soil feel (wet or dry)? How much sun are they getting?

They have been 3 weeks. I have them in generous pots, good soil, and fed them a shot of organic liquid fertilizer when I brought them in- they even greened up(love that liquid organic). I am blessed with a kitchen area that has huge windows on 2 sides.. catches the morning sun on one side and afternoon sun on the other. So -plenty of light. the blooms happened when the leaved darkened(greened up)..so they are new blooms. I left one on the deck that was pulled at the same time and it has little peppers, so it must be because they are inside???

Latest posts