Worm Bin In the house?

muddler6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I know I have seen plans for these, somewhere, but I wanted to do a worm bin in the house (Too cold to maintain one outdoors here right now, or even in the garage). Anyone have good plans, or better yet pictures? Last time I tried this I ended up with moldy food and dead worms, I still want to give it a go though.

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would be interested in this too. Exspecially one that would fit under the kitchen counter or some place like that.

NoSpringChick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just use a dark plastic tub with a lid; put holes in the sides and bottom using a hammer & nail.....place something underneath it to catch the drippings.....add moist bedding and worms and watch them grow.

If you want something that fits under the kitchen sink...just use a large coffee can...folgers is good cause it has that built in handle and just poke holes in the top.

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If I use a folgers can how do I care for the worms? Can I give them shredded newspaper? I am completely clueless to this and would love to give it a try. The local middle school has been doing a project with worm boxes but I can't seem to figure out who to contact to get info on them through the school. So any pointers would be great! Can I use fishing worms from the local bait shop or do I need special worms?
Sorry I am so clueless I know I probably sound really stupid.

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nightshade....

Many want to know... there are many experts...but, just like u and me, some that NEED info...

Thanks for asking the question...

I never thought to do worms in the house.... I would have never even considered it, but, now, you all have me thinking...

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Red wrigglers from the bait shop will be just fine. Shredded newspaper and a little garden soil or compost moistened for bedding. Worms don't need a whole lot of care. Food, dark, air and moist but not wet.

You might try looking for a local worm farmer. Ask the bait shop who they buy their worms from and see if they will let you check out their operation. I am sure they would be more than happy to set you set up with some worms and starter info.

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've posted twice on this board about my worm bins. I have one at home in my kitchen-going on 1 1/2 yrs old, and one on my desk at work(which gets neglected a bit) that is 1 yr old and it does pretty good too.
I use them for houseplant fertilizer, and conversation starters. Some people FREAK! but I'm hooked and my only problem with them is deciding who gets what scraps: chickens/worms/or compost pile. oh well it all comes out the same in the end...hehehe
I use a plastic children's colorful fish tank, inside a cardboard surround to protect from light. Works wonderful!!!

Just this weekend I did a harvest and found so many worm eggs it was amazing!! My house plants are FABULOUS!
My favorite way to recycle!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I ordered mine from Happy D Ranch in Calif. It was expensive, but it came with everything I needed (worm included) and a complete set of instructions.

My older sister and her daughter came over on Saturday. I showed them my worm bin and my niece shrieked
"Grrroooooss" "Joanie you're weird!" :rolleyes: Yeah, I know...

muddler6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you for all the info!!, I will have to give it a try again. I have some extra totes, and could probably get my hands on a plastic coffee container (don't drink the stuff myself). I plan to go to the local bait shop, maybe do a container of red worms and a container of night crawlers, just to see who does better. Besides, I got a new aluminum boat last fall, and will need worms this spring and summer anyways. I talked myself right into another project.

muddler6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
O.K. another question, chicken manure O.K. or not O.K.?

Latest posts