Worm Bin question..

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok.. So I've got a triple decker worm bin (see a pic here : http://dpw.lacounty.gov/epd/sg/bc_bins.cfm) and only have two of the 3 bins running with some worms from the local farmers market that I bought for $15.

I've had this running for several months with the worms initially started in peat moss (if I recall).. I've got the makings to set up the 3rd bin using some worms from the other two.. Our house generates too much stuff for these worms to eat but boy do they eat stuff good! I can put a pile of cucumber remnants in there and they'll leave the very outer layer of the skin behind but the rest is completely GONE!

Anyway, at some point I'd like to make some worm tea but don't recall how to do it since I took the class on this >5 years ago. Do I just take a handful of the bedding sans any worms and put it in a jar and add water or do I run water through the bin (each tier has tons of holes in the bottom) and catch the tea in the bottom (this model has a spigot on the bottom tray)? Since this has been running for several months it ought to be good for any initial go of either tea or castings I would think.. correct?

Those buggers I've found aren't too interested in artichoke parts that are too thick or the tops of banana steps (the stalky parts) but will eat just about anything else including egg shells (which completely disappeared after about 2 weeks)...

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you crushed the egg shells they are probably using them for grit. They need a certain amount of that in their system (like a chicken) to digest food. The leachings (drip) are excellent fertilizer. Mix them about one ounce to a gallon of water and use it about every other watering on potted plants or pour it on the soil with garden plants. Worm tea should be made with the castings only. Just soak them in water and use as a fertilizer. The castings will be at the bottom just above your bedding and should not have any plant bits in it. You should get about one pound of castings for every 30 or 40 pounds of food, depending on what you are feeding. You can increase the amount of castings by using just a bit of garden soil once in awhile, sprinkled onto the food. The castings themselves can be scratched into the soil around plants if you don't want to bother with tea.
Sounds as though you have a nice worm farm going. PM me if you want to find a good vermiculture board.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Hoodat! You're the guy that knows everything! :D

I was reading elsewhere after I put this post up that I can take some small amount of the dirt/castings that the worms are in, put it in a sock with a knot and let it soak in a bottle of water for a while, add some molassis to get the enzymes/critters active and then water the plants with it..

Does that sound about right?

P.S. I'll PM you!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I never heard of that one but I know unsulphured molasses can be used as a quick iron fix so I guess it couldn't hurt.