Worms in a cold frame

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello!

My parents are replacing the windows in their old house, beautiful 5 foot tall ones, and I thought this would be a perfect oppurtunity to recycle them into some cold frames. Has anyone ever stored their vermiculture bin in a cold frame over the winter? I would of course try to prevent temperature extremes by venting/insulating it as the weather changes.

Has anyone tried this before or forsee anything that might cause a huge worm die off (that would be a tragedy)?

Thanks for any input!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think that in NC you're going to have one heck of a time preventing it from getting too hot during the daytime. Coldframes are great for plants that need light, but a worm bin doesn't, right? So it seems to me that it would be better off simply in an insulated space, no? Possibly inside or adjacent to the house or other building for warmth.

Just a thought, coming from someone with coldframe but not worm experience,

Pat

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, I had no idea they would be so effective at trapping heat. I can't wait to eat a fresh salad in November! That is if I can build the box. I am an amateur gardener but I am an absolute novice at construction.