Worried about my grapes

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our newest grape arbors are now 5 years old and I have not harvested one measly grape yet. I did not try to harvest anything the first three years and they had a bad case of black-rot the 4th year. Two weeks ago all of the vines had beautiful little bunches of tiny green grapes starting. There were thousands of them. I sprayed them once in early April and once in mid May with a fruit tree anti fungus - anti rot chemical which is not my favorite thing to do but I was advised by a successful winery gardener that it may be the only way to have grapes some years.

This morning I discovered that every little bunch has most of the tiny green grapes gone or damaged. The tiny stems for each grape seems to be fragmented or splintered. Any ideas?

I have attached some pictures from this morning but I don't have any pictures from last month when everything looked good. Maybe grapes are not for PlayStation Farm?????

20160603_093511.jpg 20160603_093549.jpg 20160603_093612.jpg 20160603_093631.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no answer for you because I just planted mine and still have sticks with a few leaves. That has to be disheartening to have so much promise, then it all goes to crap.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Weather related? Sudden condition changes? No sure just throwing out ideas here.

Any other stress on your plants?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Smiles, Jr. I know nothing.

Here is Penn State U on grape diseases and it looks like they know lots (LINK).

If you see something that looks similar, click Grape Disease Description and Management in the left column. That takes you to a description. I did that with black rot and there was a table link to click at the bottom. It was a little pdf file with variety information. Looks like sulfur dusting or spray is a common treatment.

Good Luck with them.

Steve

Latest posts