would this work?

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So i had anothor random thought. I have a sunroom that faces south. I also have 6 muck tubs. Could i grow veggies in them? I was looking at cold frames but thought if i dont have to go out in the snow why not try it. They would be in the windows and the room is around 60-65f. Would it work? Also i don't want to have to fill them all the way with dirt, so what could i fill them half way with? What veggies am i looking at?

Thanks!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could surely plant something in that set up... I would suggest lettuce and spinach. They won't mind the cooler temps. Many herbs would enjoy that area.
I fill my large barrels for ornamental planting, half way full with packing peanuts and the rest with potting soil. Makes it possible to at least move them, and saves money on dirt.
It would be an interesting experiment to see how warm the soil is going to get with all that sunshine. If it really warms up nice, your possibilities will grow...
Good luck!

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hmm don't have any packing nuts. What else would work? I was hopeing that all cool weather veggies would work.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you have some seeds laying around and you are up for an experiment- what have you got to loose?? No peanuts? How about making a false bottom--fill container with other pots, etc. upside down and put dirt around them? I know you have something laying around that will work...I never look at anything anymore, without wondering if I can use it in the garden!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just throwing out a few brainstorm ideas. Not much thought behind them.

Not sure how deep those muck tubs are, but for winter in 65 degree weather, think cool weather vegetables. Lettuce and spinach were mentioned, but think radishes, carrots. Beets may take too long. Maybe potatoes? Peas? Kale or chard? I don't think the Meditteranean type herbs would do well in there since they like it hot and dry, but maybe cilantro? It may be too late for some of these this year since it will probably warm up before some could be ready, but be a Cubs fan. Wait 'til next year!!!

I know you mentioned veggies but several flowers do well in cooler weather.

Consider filling it part way with wheat straw. Think how rich that soil will be in a few months. Maybe a version of hay bale gardening.

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Good ideas!! Almost seed starting time so may wait may not. Who knows. These tubs are about 3 feet deep. I may have straw i could use.