Would you eat them?

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have some beautiful potatoes growing... in my compost bin (a plastic stock tank with a hole melted in the middle of it thanks to the horse that likes to play with the tank heater). For some reason, though, the idea of eating potatoes grown in rotting vegetation does not sound appealing. Growing in the nice black stuff doesn't bother me, just while it's in the process of rotting.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oi, I'm pretty brave and eat a lot of things, but I dont think that would be one of them. Maybe a pumpkin or something that had a tough outer skin that you wouldnt be eating...but i think i'd have to say No to potatoes from the compost.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wash'um up and off I'd go. :)

Perhaps peeled and boiled. OH!! Or make the mashed taters into potato pancakes. mmmmmmm

Last edited:

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wash'um up and off I'd go. :)

Perhaps peeled and boiled. OH!! Or make the mashed taters into potato pancakes. mmmmmmm
Mostly I wonder if the smell of the rotting stuff would affect the flavor - be absorbed by the potatoes maybe?

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have some growing there now and I intend to eat them! I also have some volunteer watermelon and they will be going on the table as well!
If your hen eats worms :sick why would it bother you if it eats snakes??
If you use your compost in the garden to grow your plants why not eat the plants out of your compost?
Wash em eat em!!!:thumbsup

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have some growing there now and I intend to eat them! I also have some volunteer watermelon and they will be going on the table as well!
If your hen eats worms :sick why would it bother you if it eats snakes??
If you use your compost in the garden to grow your plants why not eat the plants out of your compost?
Wash em eat em!!!:thumbsup

It's not the compost that would bother me, it's the rot before it's compost that I would be visualizing.

bobbi-j said "For some reason, though, the idea of eating potatoes grown in rotting vegetation does not sound appealing. Growing in the nice black stuff doesn't bother me, just while it's in the process of rotting."

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
What stage are they in? If they are still pretty young, transplant them.

Yeah, it's the YUK! factor. I'd have no problem eating a watermelon or pumpkin developing off a distance or a tomato or pepper in the air with its roots in composting material, but something growing in rotting stuff would give me pause.

I don't see the problem of eating chickens or eggs if they have been eating worms, snakes, mice, or frogs. Except for the gizzard, I don't eat the chicken's parts of the digestive system and I wash the gizzard pretty well. I just consider that stuff protein and a lot of fun for them to catch.