Would you find this pushy or fun?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
While we are nowhere near winter yet, as I harvest my spring crops and watch my summer ones prepare to yield, my thoughts have been on what to do when I can't be out in the garden.

Gardening has been so much fun for me, and so good for Alexii, that I thought it would be wonderful if my entire neighborhood can share in it. Right now both of my neighbors on either side, and my neighbor across the street, garden. We trade plant starts and vegetables across the fence, and I love it.

My thought for a winter project would be to put together seed packages for everyone in the neighborhood, inviting them to plant a garden with rainbow carts, purple and yellow green beans, and other extraordinary varieties I have found through gardening. I even have some ideas about making the package into a butterfly shape or something, and writing a little note on each packet.

But I also love my neighbors and don't really want to annoy them. There are one or two I don't know very well, and as I'm the only one with a frontyard garden, I'm sure everyone would know it was me. ;-)

What do you think? Would you be annoyed or happy to get a garden package?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like great fun. Talk to them about it. Those that garden may get a kick out of it. Some may not participate as they only make room for their favorite plants.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would go for it, but that's the kind of person I am. Some neighbors will be thrilled to try different varieties. Some may be grateful for the seeds. Some won't be interested in the seeds at all. You have no way of knowing why some neighbors choose not to do veggies in their garden.

I would certainly put my name on the gift -- other neighbors', too, if they want to participate in that way -- with the suggestion each recipient share the seeds they won't plant with family or friends to keep the giving going and the food growing.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd be happy to get such a packet! :thumbsup I think it's a wonderful and warm thing to do. You might even suggest that, if they don't garden, maybe they could gift it to someone who dearly loves to garden, instead. That way two people get the warmth from your kindly gift.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh that's a good idea! :) I'll definitely do that. That way if they don't like it, they may know someone who will want it. Now I'm really excited!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The reality is ... if a person gardens, they will like it. If they don't, well,the seed packet will be in the garbage. :idunno