WR's Shrimp Cocktail

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Shrimp Cocktail is the perfect meal... Cool & spicy!!! This recipe does make a big bowl, although that shouldn't be a problem because your family will want to finish the leftovers the next day.

Shrimp_Cocktail.jpg

3 Pounds peeled, deveined shrimp *
1/2 Purple onion, diced
1 White onion, diced
1 Bunch green onion, diced
1 Green bell pepper, diced
3-4 Jalapenos, seed & diced
4 Red sauce tomatoes, diced
3 Avocados, roughly chopped
Cilantro to taste, chopped
3-4 Garlic cloves, minced
Salt & pepper to taste
1 1/2 Cups ketchup
1/2 cup Valentina hot sauce **

* Fresh Shrimp Sizes: Extra large = 21 to 25count/pound Large = 31 to 35 count/pound
1115-2T.jpg

** To get the correct flavor, you must use this brand.

Put everything (except the avocados & shrimp) in large bowl and squeeze the juice of 2 limes unto mixture.

Now it’s time to get the shrimp ready. Bring about 2 quarts of water to a boil after adding the garlic, salt, pepper and vegetables leftovers (the trimmed off parts) . Now add the shrimp for about 3-4 minutes (don’t overcook them!!!). Remove shrimp & cool them in an ice water bath to stop the cooking process.

Save about 1/2 cup shrimp/vegetable stock and cool. Then add the cooled stock to above mixture & mix well.

Add the shrimp to the mixture & stir to combine. Put the resulting mixture in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Just before serving, add the avocados (being careful not mash up avocados to badly when mixing).

Serve with tortilla chips & lime wedges on the side to squeeze on each chip (the limes are what really sets the flavors off). And to really get the total experience, don’t forget the ice cold beer or margaritas to wash it down with. Enjoy!!!

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No you can not. To get the correct flavor, you must use this brand. Look around, even Walmart here carries it. I thought California had a lot of Mexicans... if so, you should be able to find it.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wr ranch, our hot sauces are different brands. I'll check Walmart although I don't like that store at all. Too many rude people and employees that can't help you when you need to find something.

Mary

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Walmart employees are very helpful here. If you ask where something is, they will stop whatever they are doing & walk you right to the item. I guess it depends on where you live.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Walmart employees are very helpful here. If you ask where something is, they will stop whatever they are doing & walk you right to the item. I guess it depends on where you live.
Ummm......you mean living in Texas???? We are a bunch of friendly folks! Walmart employees are very helpful here too.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even way the heck up here, north of the Back of Beyond we have Valentina. To me it tastes very similar to Chalula, but it's much less expensive.

Latest posts