Yeah.....Broccoli!

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sometimes I am so dumb, maybe inexperienced is a better word. This year I am a little smarter or wiser.well ..maybe. :/

Last year I planted broccoli. It is called DiCiccio, and I think it is an Italian heirloom and or a type of raab. I just pulled the last one up a day or two ago. This was one of my smaller successes; however, I did not realize it until now.

When I got it, it came in a four-pak from one of our local valley nurseries. Who knew it would grow to the size of a redwood! I am so naive. I think that vegetables should be the size of what you put on your plate. :th

Anyway, these plants got so big that I pulled three of them up late last year. What I did not realize is that they were still producing what they were supposed to. However, they were over shadowing my cukes and squashes.

The bugs never really bothered my broccoli. They were producing dozens and dozens of tiny succulent, tender little heads of broccoli. I would pick them and within a few days, more would appear. This plant was so prolific that I could even pull the leaves off and give them to the chickens. The yard right now is a little void of green stuff and pasture, so the chickies really appreciated it. :weee

These little heads were great in salads, sandwiches and thrown into the soup pot, or quickly stir fried in garlic and peanut or olive oil. I even gave some to my friends in baggies. No real point here but to say that patience is a virtue, and that I think I need to be more patient. I am going to try to get this type again.

Does this mean I have to build even more raised beds? It never stops.the wanting of more space to plant. :th :weight

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Trying brocolli, myself this year, for the first time.....and sprouts. Love the stuff....hope it does well. Never tasted either, REALLY fresh. Sure looking forward to it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love planting broccoli- and eating it!! You guys are in a much warmer zone than I am, but mine was producing until they were completely covered in snow. I also let a lot of mine go to flower and the bees loved them. Those flowers were really the last thing blooming in my garden. There comes a time, when we really can't eat all that the plants produce- so then I start freezing it, in plastic bags. Still eating it, in February!! Enjoy! I direct seed mine- since it is a cold weather crop and can be started early...

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Wow, Ladyhawke1! Did the "broccoli board" hire you? That's QUITE an endorsement, and might make me wanna grow it, since it's so easy!:lol:
Yes, and just send the money to attn: Ladyhawke1 :plbb :throw

sandyullom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I always have trouble with broccoli. Can't keep little tiny green worms from eating it to death (I have tried broccoli two years in a row with the same results...none :th) Anyone have ideas of how to keep this from happening again?

Also, Ladyhawk1, did the DiCiccio freeze well for you?

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love broccoli also, but last summer was the first time I had any in the garden. It produced two plants that were quite tall, but the main thing it produced was white cabbage butterflies and caterpillars. :love The poor plants had leaves full of holes all summer, and by the time the broccoli heads appeared, we didn't have the heart to pick them, so they flowered and the white cabbage butterflies were in absolute heaven, slurping up the nectar! They looked like this ---> :drool It was quite a learning experience, and this year, I plan to plant much more in several locations, so that maybe I'll actually get some to eat! :lol:

Glad you had such a great experience. Maybe this year I'll try other varieties. Last year was just run of the mill, bought seeds at the dollar store broccoli. Good luck!

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
sandyullom said:
I always have trouble with broccoli. Can't keep little tiny green worms from eating it to death (I have tried broccoli two years in a row with the same results...none :th) Anyone have ideas of how to keep this from happening again?

The little green worms are the caterpillars for the small white butterflies you see fluttering around - they're called cabbage whites. Farmers usually call the caterpillars cabbage worms, and I don't know how to get rid of them, but that's just me - I love butterflies. Like I said above, I'm going to try planting more 'cabbage' type plants - more broccoli all over the area and see if I can actually get some broccoli to eat! I'll let you know if it works.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sandyullom said:

Hey...just slap some mayonnaise on them and chow down. One day I was so taken with eating the broccoli, and I did wash it..as I was ready to bite into the wonderful little florets the mayonnaise wiggled. :ep I quickly took it out to the chickens. Their reaction was, how nicemoms putting mayonnaise on the treats now. :celebrate

That only happened once and it was the only worm I ever foundif not they are tasting just as good as the broccoli and I am still here. :p