Yellow cakes/ cocoa powder frosting how cookbooks relate to gardens

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
basic yellow cake with chocolate frosting

anyone? help?

my dear friend is having a birthday she assumes I can bake since I make cookies and pie but really cakes are not easy for me!

I need a yellow cake with chocolate frosting for tomorrow

can anyone share a tried and true
I know this is short notice and have googled it but since recipes are iffy online unless you have tried it

I would love a home made favorite tried and true!

thanks so much in advance!

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use this recipe for chocolate frosting.

1/2 c softened or melted butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 2/3 c powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 cup cocoa powder

My recipe is a quite chocolatey 'cause i like it that way. It has great texture.

The original recipe (which i can't seem to find now) calls for 2/3 cup of cocoa and 2 cups of powdered sugar. Very good that way too. I use mine on a super awesome chocolate cake. I've never used it on yellow cake. But it's really good.

Oh, also, this recipe makes about the right amount to cover the top of a 9x13 generously. If you're doing layers or anything, you'll probably want a double batch.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thank you so much both of you the cake looks great and the frosting awesome

I will try these she will love them and I promise to give you guys credit!

thanks I just do not do well with cakes but I think I can handle this

Chipmunk is helping :)

I am thinking of making her a pile of cupcakes instead of one cake and just stack them up or bring her one and let her think that is it...hmmmmmm

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
thank you so much both of you the cake looks great and the frosting awesome

I will try these she will love them and I promise to give you guys credit!

thanks I just do not do well with cakes but I think I can handle this

Chipmunk is helping :)

I am thinking of making her a pile of cupcakes instead of one cake and just stack them up or bring her one and let her think that is it...hmmmmmm
Cupcakes are fun!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie gave me some advice this morning and I agree with her!

the JOY of Cooking! duh!!!

I have 4495857 cookbooks ..literally a huge hall closet turned into a book shelves for them and the gardening books ...really why not open a book?

because I have gotten lazy and a shout out to TEG is sooo much easier!

I opened my :JOY" (and young cooks and bakers if you do not have this book it is for sure one of the greats!) and voila' there was one in there that sounds just perfect and has notes from a previous owner (also I am a firm believer in notes in a cook book even right on the pages! Generations later it is so appreciated ..I covet my books with notes!)

thanks you guys the recipe is very similar to what you offered but I do not have to print it off ..saved a tree buy opening a book!
I am going back to paper for a while..when I opened my closet and looked at the books I fell in love all over again and want to spend part of this winter with them ...omg it has been ages since I just went through them organized them and got lost in them!!!! there is also a huge collection of mushroom hunting books

(my husbands birdbooks take up two other bookshelves!) For two people who adore book have neglected them sorely since having laptops at our reach

books
:love

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I got SUCH a chuckle :lol: from your post--I hijacked this thread over on SS, asking for the same thing:

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=99035#p99035

Finally, keljonma and me&thegals came up with a couple of great recipes. I LOVE yellow cake with chocolate frosting. AND, my birthday is on the 20th, so I'll be expecting my DD's to bake me one. ENJOY!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DUCKS HOW FUNNY thanks for directing me I never get on SS but should look more often you guys have killer stuff

but I am trying so hard to limit my online time (not sure how I do that when this is my media/music radio as well as constantly exciting info center ..argh truly addicted to cyberspace over here

I am going to read that thread start to finish however thank you so much!!!! :ya score!!!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have my granny's Joy of Cooking. It is well worn. Unfortunately, it didn't stand up to my Hubbies three years as a stay at home dad. Evil lurks in the carelessness of loved ones. :/

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
awwww Obsessed I so know you must go buy a new one ...maybe a used new one? and start your notes now don't you think??? ..I hope everyone touches their favorite cookbook!!!

what are your favorite cookbooks ..tell me do you guys have recipe files with cards in them that have food stuck to them???

lets take this off a bit if no one minds?

one time I went to a thrift store in Panama with a very very dear friend

I found a pile of paperback cookbooks for like a dime a piece

I I looked quicky through them ..all kinds of ethnic stuff from the early 60's everything from "Soul Food" to "Mexican" I think there were at least 20 but only 2 or 3 have made it through the years.. all through every single book there were notes ..she was French ...a teacher in the Canal Zone and had nothing but AWfUL things to say about meat from the US ...she also made notes and comments about every recipe ..what a score this was ..I was very young and this was a wonderful cooking lesson for me I was reading cookbooks with someone elses eye

I am so glad I garden because really daydreaming is wonderful ..I have choosen to reread my two Alice B Toklas cookbooks ..she was so brilliant! and it was not just about the brownies any old people rolling eyes at me :p

the weather is kind of cold but not bad here and I like to work against SAD before it hits ..so if anyone wants to discuss or share about your favorite old cookbooks the names of ones you treasure ..and really do you guys have recipe boxes???

if no one is interested I will go back to my book ;)

but I think I will change the title to give this room to grow

the yellow cake recipe from SS was the same as the one VFEM gave me except it had a little oil ..so I did it that way grated some tangerine peel in it then made the cocoa powder frosting that Punkin gave me
all went very nicely ..my friend adored the big pan of cupcakes and the doggy dooly for her now growing family of Labs...
thanks so much for the help you guys are awesome!

share cookbook stores :)

Latest posts