Yellow crookneck squash?

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
In addition to zucchini, this year I also planted yellow summer squash, both the straight and crooknecked. I was cutting up a bunch yesterday for freezing, and some of the crookneck ones are VERY hard, more like an unripe butternut or other winter squash. Do I have something weird here, or are they maybe just older than they should have been? If that is the case, is there a way to still make them edible?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
snewman said:
In addition to zucchini, this year I also planted yellow summer squash, both the straight and crooknecked. I was cutting up a bunch yesterday for freezing, and some of the crookneck ones are VERY hard, more like an unripe butternut or other winter squash. Do I have something weird here, or are they maybe just older than they should have been? If that is the case, is there a way to still make them edible?
You probably let them sit on the vine too long, they should of been harvested when young.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Summer squash should be harvest as young as possible for best flavor. If I wait to long on the crooked neck then they dont taste so good .

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If the seeds are anywhere near developed, you waited too long. I find I need to get them within two days of the squash first developing.

If I'm going to freeze squash, I gather what is ready, store it in a brown paper bag in the refrigerator for a couple of days, gather what has grown in new and freeze it all, both zucchini and the yellow squash. In the winter I find frozen squash to be pretty good, but let's face it. The texture of frozen squash is not great so I find that refrigerating some for a couple of days before I process it really doesn't hurt it that badly.

I keep the yellow squash and zucchini cleaned off the vines so they will keep producing. If I can't use it I split it and feed it to the chickens. They eat it all, seeds and pulp, leaving only the rind even if it is too old for me to use.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is hard to keep up with them. If I don't feel like sharing with the chickens- I just scoop out the seed portion and cook the rest.

Latest posts