Yellow Marigold care

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My 8 year old son bought me a .98 yellow marigold at wal-mart while we were shopping the garden center on Saturday. It was so sweet, as I knew what he was doing because I can't let him out of my sight, but I acted all surprised. I watched him as he carefully looked at the prices of each plant until he saw these for .98 which are small with one big bloom on them.

I want to put it in one of my squares in my raised bed garden. What is the best care for it to get more blooms and a bigger plant?

Thanks, Melissa

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
How sweet is that?? That will surely be your favorite plant, all summer! They really are super easy care- Since you have one plant and you want it to rebloom, you'll have to deadhead it. If it is only one stem, I am not sure the plant will make more stems, but you can easily keep it blooming! Enjoy!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
pinch back the blossoms once they have started to wilt so they keep blooming. they will send out more branches as the months go on and get bushy and keep blooming!

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What a sweet jesture from your little man! You might want to save some seed from this plant so you can start babies from it next year. Marigolds are really easy - just let a couple of flower heads stay on the plant and dry out (at the end of the blooming season). When they are completely dry pluck them off and put them in a baggie or jar. When you are ready to start them next year just pull the seeds out of the heads (if they are still intact) and plant them with about 1/4 inch of dirt over them. The seeds look like little pieces of straw with a dark end and a light end. Just think, you could keep this special gift going for many years!!

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I cheat and use Osmocote under bedding plants. Shhhhh - don't tell.

Latest posts