Yellow medium to large tomato recommendations

dinnertym

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am looking for a tasty yellow tomato to round out my garden. Zone 7 in Northern CA. Which ones would you suggest that are flavorfull and meaty? Thank you.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Boy, a Tomato Question! . . . I assume you are talking about a large tomato. I don't know the answer Dinnertym but I'll keep bumping your question until somebody with real experience lets you know!

I hope that I'll have some appropriate experience by the end of this season. Influenced by my love affairs with Sungold and SunSugar cherries . . . Let's see this is what I'm trying:

Dagma's Perfection
Kellogg's Breakfast
Woodle's Orange
Orange Minsk

Now, I grew 1 Orange Minsk last year. Wonderful flavor but I only got 3 fruits off a huge plant! It deserves another chance, I suppose.

The Woodle's Orange is from my part of the world but other than some smaller seed companies raving about how nice it is, I know nothing about it.

Gardeners rave about Kellogg's Breakfast. I am really afraid that I don't have a long enuf season for this 80-day slicer but, it comes with such favorable comments that I thought it was worth a try.

Dagma's Perfection is what I've got highest hopes for. The 73 days-to-maturity puts it right in there with Big Beef which I grow successfully, every year.

Steve
who is also trying yellow cherry Dr. Carolyn this year if'n you are talking about yellow cherries - but it's new-to-me, anyway

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm trying for oranges (bi-colored) and yellows:
Sungold
Sunsugar
Lemon boy
Hillbilly
Gold Medal
Big Rainbow

I also heard that Jubilie was good and I wanted to try Pineapple too, but ran out of room :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some folks don't like Sungold.

They claim that they are too sweet and cloying.

Of course, taste is subjective, 'Dorie. Me? I think Sungold has the edge on flavor but SunSugar is not only flavorful but has a more tender skin . . . and . . . it seldom spits! The trials continue (because somebody has to do it)!

And, I forgot!! I've got a few plants of an OP cherry variety some weird person named: WOW! Comparing notes with another gardener who will also try it first time. The claim is that it is as good as Sungold.

Weelllll. I'll be the judge of that!

Steve

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Think it is great to share notes, I have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts.

For me, no garden is complete without Sungold. I am a fanatic about them!

I am not fond of Lemon Boy, myself.....pretty color but lacking in flavor.

I am trying pineapple again this year. I had limited success with it in the past, but things are looking up for it this year. It is not really yellow though, more red/yellow.

texgran

Sprout
Reaction score
I agree, lemon boy doesn't have any flavor. It produces well and is pretty. Intrested to see what this forum suggests for delicious, productive yellow/orange.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DH said he wanted yellow tomatoes, so I grabbed a seed packet of Jubilee and poked some in a 9-pack. Eight of them promptly sprouted and grew, then survived the greenhouse experience (before the fan was installed...) Now they're in the garden (one is a little mangled, the boy kitten decided it looked like a good place to take a nap) but I imagine I'll have *way* more yellow tomatoes than anyone would want or need. I'll let you know how they taste!

-Wendy

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So... it was a miserable year for tomatoes, it hit 100 degrees on June 1 and didn't rain for weeks.

The Jubilee plants turned black at the base, and I lost the first fruits to blossom end rot (likely due to inconsistent watering). The ones that matured are not very pretty, sun scalded and cracked on the top, prone to spots here and there, and munched by bugs here and there.

But they are juicy, meaty, and taste wonderful! I've been cutting them in half at the equator an discarding the top, cutting out any bad spots from the bottom (and occasionally peeling them if the skin is too ugly), and eating them fresh with some feta cheese and basil.

What other yellow tomatoes did you have success with?

-Wendy