Yellow squash problem....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Someone may have already addressed this problem and I just couldn't find it. Its not even really a problem yet but I'm trying to look ahead. I have a plethora of blooms and many small, slender squash in the making but have noticed 2 of the earliest squash got no larger than 3 in. long, very slender, then withered and died. They were rotten but with no evidence of parasitic invasion inside. The plants are in new ground (not previously cultivated) with a light application of aged manure at the time of plowing, mulched well with aged hay, rather closer together than I normally plant and getting good rain. We've had cooler temps than last year at this time but nothing to really worry about. The plants look great and seem healthy. I have nasturtiums planted all around the bed as a companion planting. Is this something to worry about? As I said, I've never had any problems growing squash before, so this is a new thing for me. Does it sound like some kind of defficiency in the soil?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now I know that Tutter, Reinbeau and the OCF have some knowledge about this problem......where are you guys!? :p

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They may not have gotten pollenated. That's my first guess.

Squash have male and female flowers and you have to have both blooming at the same time to get squash. The female flowers have a little squash behind them and the male flowers are full of pollen. If you don't have alot of pollenators to do the job you can do it yourself with a little brush, or pick the male blossom, pull the calyx off and rub the pistil of the female flower.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, it's most likely a lack of pollination. It happens. You'll see more fruit as the season goes along.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would first think that it may be lack of pollination but if fruits are actually forming this would lead me to think otherwise. Blossom end rot, perhaps?

To be safe, I would add some calcium to the soil to make sure that you are doing everything you can to prevent blossom end rot. Crushed eggshells (or oyster shells from the chickens) should work for this, a few eggshells per plant.

I'm sure that you're watering consistently so I'm guessing this isn't your problem. Plant stress, soggy soil and lack of water are the other causes of blossom end rot.

To rid yourself of any guessing, pollinate a few blossoms by hand and see how it goes.

Good luck!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm afraid that until the fires are out, I'm going to be on and off more spottily.

As for OaklandCityFarmer....what he said! ;)

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As Oakland says, it sounds like the fruit had already formed at 3" long, rather than it being the the unpollinated
bud. So my guess would be blossom end rot as well.

The nasturtiums should have no bearing on the squash production.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, the nasturtiums were planted to attract the vine beetles away from my plants! :) I would guess on the wet weather....we've been having a lot of rainfall and, though I am well mulched, my garden is on a grade with the squash at the bottom of the garden. I will try the calcium....just happen to have oyster shell in the henhouse! :) Have plenty of pollinators this year but I will try to help it along. Have plenty of others about 3 in. long right now and I've never seen so many blossoms (female and male) on my squash plants before!!! Thank you, gardening gurus!!!!!! I knew I could count on you! Tutter....sorry about the fires! Are you in danger where you live? :(

bunch-a-chickens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
could it possibly be just too many fruits to fill for one plant? maybe risk hand thinning so it doesn't have as many? just a guess though.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That could be it...I've never seen so many squash on one plant before! I haven't found anymore that are rotting but this has been a weird year. Cool and rainy, so the squash aren't growing as rapidly as I am used to.....you know, one day they are 1 in. long and the next day they are almost going to seed? Well, they are only gaining about a 1/2 in. per day on growth. I am attributing this to the cold weather! :p I just feel too proud of them to pick off some of the little guys to allow for others to grow bigger.... :rolleyes: I'll have to think about it.... :fl

Latest posts