Yellow watermelons

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Need suggestions on a good yellow watermelon. Love the sweet flavor. Would like it to be ice box size. Grow sugar baby now. Love flavor, few too many seeds (nothing I can't get around) but would like the extra sweetness of yellow.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
So what kind do u like? Looked at one site, had an interesting polish yellow watermelon.... Kind of interested since wife has polish back ground.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baker's Creek has many watermelon varieties to check out. Here are 4 of the smaller ones.

Golden Russian Watermelon

A new introduction we received from our Ukrainian connection. It has a dark green skin with bright yellow flesh that is extremely flavorful and juicy. The size ranges from about 3 lb. to 12 lb. The smaller ones make great lunch-time melons for two people, with no leftovers.

Janosik Watermelon
80 days. Yellow-fleshed Polish variety. Oblong fruits to about 10 lbs. The extra sweet, yellow flesh is lovely in contrast with the dark green rinds. Crisp and delicious! Beautiful, uniform fruit and one of the best eating bright yellow types!

Early Moonbeam Watermelon
75-80 days. Early and productive yellow-fleshed watermelon, very sweet and delicious! Bred by Dr. Alan Kapuler of Peace Seeds specifically for Oregon conditions, which often tend to be on the cool side, this variety delivers sweet watermelons in cool climates where others often fail. 5-8 lb fruit have thin rinds and an attractive light-green skin with darker-green stripes. Recommended for northern and higher elevation gardens!

Orange Flesh Tendersweet Watermelon
90 days. Excellent, deep orange flesh; very sweet and crisp, flavor lives up to its name! Delicious tasting! We prefer orange-fleshed types over most reds and yellows -- they seem to yield better here than most others. A great variety for markets.
["most of the melons are the size of a large cantaloup"]

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought yellow watermelon seed for next spring.....got a little excited about having all that room so I got a head start! I got Moon and Stars because (this is going to sound like a stupid female thing.... :idunno ) well.....because the rind is so darn pretty! :lol:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Red, looked at same site. Thinking Janosik.

Expect pix Bay. Have to continue tradition of complaining about dang southerners!!!!!!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here, south of Indianapolis is south of mason Dixon boarder, so you are still south.....

Southern Indiana has that southern drawl-not that of Deep South, more KY slang drawl.

Dang southerners, trying to claim northern Texas as the North....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, ah'm shore takin' my southern accent with me! I have such a drawl, I get nailed for a Texan any time I cross the state lines. :lol:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just so we're clear, u r still in Deep South? While Texas is huge, it's still all in the south........

Latest posts