Yoga Teacher Gone Rogue

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have told you that we have a little old lady teaching yoga and tai-chi for free at our library. She was teaching Pilates too, but we didn't like it. Only doing it once a week only made me (all of us) really sore till the next week. We convinced her to do yoga two days, no Pilates. (She has been a fitness instructor and physical therapist for years)
So lately she has been throwing in a lot of Pilates, and much less of the yoga we like. Being in a class, with that mild form of competition, usually no one complains, just tries to keep up. But, Dang! I am really sore in the upper abs from doing a million leg ups and circles in the air.
The lady is nearly 82, and I think she is starting to get a little forgetful. I don't know how to approach her about this...after all, it is a free class. If we knew she was going to do Pilates, we could stay away those days. But when she springs it on us when we think we are there for yoga, it's too late. And it's not just for a few minutes. Friday, we spent the whole session on legs. I could just up and leave, but that would be scandalous. I know this is a "first world problem" but aggravating all the same.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps you could write down the exercises she has you do on a good day and give her a copy for use on those days she starts springing unwanted moves. She might appreciate having a 'lesson' plan or a short variety of lesson plans to use. She is probably aware of her forgetfulness, but enjoys the class and the attention.

Let her know that having lesson plans is a good idea in case she can't make a class and a sub is needed. Then the exercise she planned for her class will be consistent.

Trying to find a way to make things easier for her should work better than anything else I can think of. That, or start a class of your own.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Must be something youthful about Yoga. I have a client also in her 80s that teaches it !!!! I almost fell down when she bought her dog in for boarding, and told me she was going to a 2 week retreat to teach Yoga.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps you could write down the exercises she has you do on a good day and give her a copy for use on those days she starts springing unwanted moves. She might appreciate having a 'lesson' plan or a short variety of lesson plans to use. She is probably aware of her forgetfulness, but enjoys the class and the attention.

Let her know that having lesson plans is a good idea in case she can't make a class and a sub is needed. Then the exercise she planned for her class will be consistent.

Trying to find a way to make things easier for her should work better than anything else I can think of. That, or start a class of your own.
Red, I may try something like this. Although as it stands right now, she is the only one that has a key to the activity room, so she would see through that ruse. But if pre-arranged, the library staff would let us open it up in her absence. I think she does enjoy the comaraderie and attention, but her nickname is "Sarge" so you probably get the picture.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just suck it up..... She is giving you a longer and better quality life. Eventually, your muscles will develop and no problems. It's her class. Otherwise, don't show up and she'll get the message. If I was giving a free class and someone tried to manipulate it, would I be ticked off.

Latest posts