You Can Help Science Stop The Red Lily Beetle!

mediaOrganic

Sprout
Reaction score
This may not interest anyone other than TEGr's in New England, but it is a cautionary tale for everyone. The Red Lily Beetle first appeared in Cambridge in 1992 and by the early 2000's it was in our yard in Westwood, about 12 miles away. Like lots of people in NE I can no longer grow asiatic lillies because of this pest. It has spread to all of the NE states from Maine to Connecticut. The Red Lily Beetle hitched a ride from Asia and it destroys Asiatic, Oriental, Easter, tiger, and Turk's-cap lilies. Trust me if this creature is not stopped it will be in YOUR yard in no time! And.You.Won't.Like.It.

Fortunately, a scientist at the University of Rhode Isand is working on a locating a preadtor, and she needs samples of Lily Beetle larvae for her research. I'm tempted to plant some just so I can send her the larvae and help eradicate this pest!

The details on how to participate are on Boston.com .

Phyllis

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow this is serious, i couldn't imagine a summer without Lilies growing in the garden. I will definely look at that link. I wouldnt want this pest destroying these beautiful flowers.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Phyllis, thank you so much for posting this. I had a wonderful species lily collection until these ba.... ooops, nasty things showed up. I'll be gathering up larvae for her tomorrow and sending it off to her!

Oh, and it's not just lilies. Fritillarias, too, mine are all gone
thun.gif

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh the horror!!!!!!!!!

What is it with things that come to the US from China?! Sheesh!!!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
mediaOrganic said:
This may not interest anyone other than TEGr's in New England, but it is a cautionary tale for everyone. The Red Lily Beetle first appeared in Cambridge in 1992 and by the early 2000's it was in our yard in Westwood, about 12 miles away. Like lots of people in NE I can no longer grow asiatic lillies because of this pest. It has spread to all of the NE states from Maine to Connecticut. The Red Lily Beetle hitched a ride from Asia and it destroys Asiatic, Oriental, Easter, tiger, and Turk's-cap lilies. Trust me if this creature is not stopped it will be in YOUR yard in no time! And.You.Won't.Like.It.

Fortunately, a scientist at the University of Rhode Isand is working on a locating a preadtor, and she needs samples of Lily Beetle larvae for her research. I'm tempted to plant some just so I can send her the larvae and help eradicate this pest!

The details on how to participate are on Boston.com .

Phyllis
I hope it is an American predator as I don't want any more do gooders bringing in another pest that may be worse than we already have. Need example...

Some moron brought starlings in to eat the corn borers from europe......now they are worse than the corn borers..........

Latest posts