You did what!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The photo shows an olive embryo, which has been removed from the seed and placed into tissue culture. After removing the seed from the drupe, I removed the seed coat from the seed and placed the seed in moist paper towels for a four weeks. Using a sterile scalpel, the embryo was removed from the seed and placed into protocol. Within a few days the embryo began to turn from white to green and began to grow; one might say I sort of performed a Cesarean section on an olive.

The same process has been repeated on more seeds, with more showing signs of growth. The vessels are on a heat mat under a 24 watt T5 grow light 24/7.

jackb

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tissue culture techniques can also be used for germinating hard to germinate seeds, simply by using a different protocol.

There are a number of reasons why I chose to do it this way. Olive seeds have a poor germination rate, perhaps one in ten, or less, in my experience. By removing the seed from the drupe I can tell if there is even a seed inside the drupe. Many times the drupe looks fine, however the seed is dessicated, so you can waste a year trying to grow it in soil. Which leads to another reason; olives take a long long long, you get the idea, time to germinate in soil. I started the seed in the photo at the end of December, about four weeks ago, so timing is an important consideration. Germinating in culture takes all the work out of the process, once it is in the vessel it needs absolutely no maintenance. Last, but not least, I find I get a much higher success rate this way. Old seeds can actually be rejuvenated if soaked in water, hydrogen peroxide and sugar before being cultured. OK, add that it is high tech, interesting and pretty cool, and you get the idea.

The photo shows a seed I received today, a rare sword olive seed. Other than it is a huge olive, I know nothing about them, so it should be an interesting project.
jackb

post images

Last edited:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a perfect example of why I used this method: I had one seed for a rare Italian olive that I really really want. Only a few days ago I removed the embryo and put it into culture. I seriously doubted that it was going to survive. This morning it began to open, and by this evening it is looking darn good. My chances of doing this in soil would be slim and none.
Check out this olive: $14.00 a jar, plus shipping.
jackb

Red Bella di Cerignola Olives in Glass Jar
Imported from Apulia, Cerignolas are the largest olives in the world. They have a fruity, mild, clean taste, but their most impressive feature is their size and resulting meatiness. Biting into a Cerignola is almost like biting into a plum. Festive red in color, serve them as an appetizer with cocktails. Packaged beautifully in a keepsake Italian glass jar with mini-handles on either side.

Latest posts