You know your garden has really gone to seed when...

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would not touch smut with a ten foot pole or frogs legs tho my mom had them and said they were yummy...I love calamari... all kinds of fish...I've never had truffels... except the candy kind..I try most foods but I canNOT eat hot spicy foods... I know they are good for you but my new england up brings was bland foods...almost as bad as English foods...I dont even put black pepper on my food...too spicy... LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
As an attempt to redeem myself for posting the fishing picture . . . Here is a plant going to seed in my garden:

DSC00577.JPG

This is a purple orache "mother plant" that has just about dropped all of her seeds (probably some in my shirt pocket as I brushed by :p). I've got 4 plants and 2 others are taller than this six-footer. There's one that I broke when I walked into it :/. Obviously, it wasn't in an out-of-the-way spot where I assign these things. Really, one plant is enuf.

The multitude of purple seedlings are much closer to salad spinach size when they are out there very early in the growing season. That's their relative - spinach (which I always want to write with an "e" also, "spinache." ;)). They are every bit as tender as spinach and very colorful in a spring salad with the earliest lettuce.

Right now, she looks like she has done her part for the year and her babies are all around at her feet.

Steve

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Wow... I found that stuff too, and I was grossed out it went to the compost quickly. I wouldn't have even offered it to the chickens. You had to go and say truffles?!

You know, I feel like you are just saying that to see if I'm crazy enough to go try it... like you dare me!!!?? hahahaha :lol:
Don't compost smut infected corn plants. The spores can remain viable for several years. Burning the plants or disposing of them in the garbage are the best ways to get rid of it. It is important to find the infected plants before the galls burst open.

Latest posts