Young Farmers Restoring Rural America

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
"Whether we live in Manhattan or Peoria, we depend on a healthy countryside to supply the food we eat. So its welcome news that across the nation, a hearty crop is taking root. Smart, young people are changing the world by returning to the roots of American agriculture roots steeped in a tradition and culture of diversity, quality and respect for the Earth. "

Read more: http://www.grit.com/community/people/young-farmers.aspx#ixzz18OYPv5um

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very interesting article.

Situation 1--live near New York City, consumers pay premium for their food. They know what they want and pay for it.

Situation 2--Good example of adapting to market.

Situation 3--supported by Federal Government, think subsidies to study how to do things we did 50 years ago...........talk about mis spent $$$$. This is taught in HS by local ag instructors.

Situation 4--Federal government paying someone.

Only 2 out of 4 are making a living off of Ag. 2 are Federal employees.

There are a lot of younger farmers out there doing it on their own w/out the federal government. What is not there are a lot of 50-60 year old farmers--most went broke in the 80's.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There was a disconnect starting with food being manufactured rather than grown when small family farms began disappearing. The younger generation left the farm for the city and the old ways were not passed on. It's good to see the younger generations returning but family sized farms are hard to find any more. It's all huge agri business these days.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've lived in a farming community for the last 40 years. Bout all that are left are 50+ year old farmers. Many did go broke, in our area, years back, but it was due, more, to mismanagement of their farms. Over spending and relying on hired hands to take care of all the work while the owners road the roads in brand new pickups that they traded in every year. True, that ag was federally backed but that same backing also played a part in ag's destruction with import/export programs (dare I say....NAFTA). As seed, chemical, fetilizer and fuel prices rose......prices for crops fell because of imports (peanuts and cotton are the main crops in my area). And we all know what that leads to......kids of farmers not wanting to "go into the family business". And it is true that more acerage planted does not, necessarily, mean more profit. Like any other business....it's possible to over"grow your business". I've always said that the way for the government to control the masses is by controlling the food......not the guns.