Young Fruit Trees & Blossoms

Iona's Orchard

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Last year we planted 3 pear trees and a peach tree (yum!). Since they were planted after we'd moved onto the property and had gotten 2 dogs, the deer didn't get to them (unlike the struggling apple trees).
What surprised me was that 2 of the pear trees and the peach tree have blossoms! I've always been under the impression that with fruit trees, blossoms = fruit, and the trees seem a bit young for that. Sooo, advice, anyone?

Peach tree
DSCF2221.jpg

One of the pear trees.
DSCF2222.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since most fruit trees that are sold were grown on a different root stock and then grafted for the variety of fruit you wanted, the tree may be much older than you thought. Scions grafted to your tree from a producing tree may grow flowers and develop fruit. It is a good thing.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red’s called Smart for a reason.

Just because you have blossoms doesn’t mean fruit will set, though that would be nice. But on a very young tree like that, I’d suggest you take off all but a very few that set on. The tree needs to put most of its energy into growing roots and tree instead of growing fruit, though I’d certainly leave a few on. That’s too good to pass up. Also, don’t leave a lot on one limb. Those limbs are not going to be strong enough to hold up a lot of fruit. You’ll get bigger individual fruits that way too.
The dwarfs are more likely to start bearing fruit earlier than the semi-dwarf and the semi’s will normally beat the full sized ones.

Can I mention I’m jealous of you? I planted my pear trees (regular sized) in 2008 and have only had blooms once. No fruit has ever set on. But hope “blooms” eternal. Maybe this year. I have had some peaches though. Those were nice.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would not remove the flowers. I would wait until the fruit sets and starts to grow. Like Cat said, some will likely drop off. When they start growing, some will be knotted or obviously not perfect. That can help you decide which ones to remove.

meatburner

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks Ridgerunner. I have been confused about that issue from different sources comments. Would that be the same suggestion for pears and apples? Appreciate your help.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My young pears have flowered the past two years and most of the flowers dropped, except for one that grew up to be a very tasty little pear. ;)

meatburner

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks journey11. This is a first for me with fruit trees. I ordered from Stark Brothers and received them a couple weeks ago. They are showing signs of swelling buds so have my fingers crossed. Hope you have a bunch of yummy pears this year!