Young People Might Do This

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you suppose they would want to?

Too late on several accounts!
... had my usual problems with every step HP detailed and that I'd written out. I've always felt that if I don't have to redo things more than once, it's been a success. And, The PC Now recognizes the dvd/cd deck!

I loaded a disc my cousin sent me. First picture up .... um .... my great grandmother's grandfather?? ... Yeah.

The old bird's image and a picture of his tombstone. His photograph was from a studio in South Bend, Indiana. Here's what the tombstone says,

"In Loving Memory of
John Hopkins,
Died August 31, 1892
Aged 104 years

A PRECIOUS one from us has gone;
A place is vacant in our home ..."

Can you imagine? He lived from 1788, almost entirely through the 19th century! In 1788, the newly formed states were still in the process of adopting the US Constitution. Born the same year was David G. Burnet who would preside over the Council of 1836 which declared Texas independence from Mexico. Nearly the entire Westward Expansion, Railroads, the Civil War, etc., etc. occurred during his lifetime ... I hope he was able to appreciate indoor plumbing and wonder what John would have thought of computers.

Steve :)

Family history. I just came up with a little project, if'n I want to start on it. There is a fair amount of genealogy already done on John's family. I'd just need to take the time to see where it leads and that can probably be done online.

I believe the Hopkins are the only part of my ancestry which passes through New England ... Massachusetts. I was just reading a little about the Pilgrims at Plymouth. (This is the time of year for that sorta thing, ya know ;).) A Mayflower baby was born at sea. He didn't live long once ashore but he was a Hopkins. His father, Stephen, had other children born in England and in Massachusetts.

Stephen's son most likely to be an ancestor, Giles Hopkins was born in England and died about 1690, Massachusetts. On 9 October 1639 he married Catherine Wheldon in Plymouth and they had ten children,

1620 ... Mayflower ... you don't suppose ..?

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I immediately ran into problems. It was my thought that since a internet guy who seems to be related to half the population in the US had information on the Hopkins related closely to My Dear Great Grandmother Sylvia, I could just click into his website and plow right back to 1620! Nope. He had less interest in ol' John than I expected!

It might be a tough row to hoe - going from 1788 back to 1620. Wow! 150 years!

I might have to resort to fiction! Yeah. There isn't likely to be much meat on the bones in the first place. But, fiction has some value even if it won't get me into the Society of Mayflower Descendants ;).

"Fiction is history, human history, or it is nothing. But it is also more than that; it stands on firmer ground, being based on the reality of forms and the observation of social phenomena, whereas history is based on documents, and the reading of print and handwriting — on second-hand impression. Thus fiction is nearer truth. But let that pass. A historian may be an artist too, and a novelist is a historian, the preserver, the keeper, the expounder, of human experience." ~ Joseph Conrad

& Steve :)

Latest posts