Young Redwood, Transplant Shock?

clport

Sprout
Reaction score
We brought a young Sequoia redwood tree with us from our place in northern California when we moved to the Portland, OR, area in 2007. For the past 3 years it has lived in a 5 gallon bucket (our bad). We finally planted it just a month or so ago. It was showing reallly beautiful new growth when planted and now the tips of the branches are turning brown. I'm afraid we really hurt it. What can I do? I actually see a little new growth starting way down just above the root ball, so I guess it's still alive. I want to help it! Thanks for any tips.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sound's a little in shock from the sudden move for sure. How is it on water? Have you had your soil tested to make sure there isn't anything that could be affecting it? ...such as ph level?

Just a thought... I don't know much if anything about Sequoia, I live in the south eastern US.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's usually better not to move or plant trees when they are in active growth... probably what's happened is that transplant shock has proved to be just a bit too much for the very tender new growth. You will probably lose some or all of the branch tips, maybe even the leader, but as long as you take good care of the tree (neither over- nor under-watering it for the next year or two) and it is in suitable site and soil, it should recover. Even if it loses the leader it will correct itself and since it is small it's unlikely to result in any permanent disfigurement unless the whole top of the trunk dies off.

One thing you might do is to set up some burlap stretched between t-posts a little ways upwind of it so that it is well-sheltered from any wind. Even a bit of shade might benefit it, if it is in a very sunny location.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have a Sequoia bonsai. I have noticed that they can be very temperamental. I lost one due to too dry of conditions. Here in Maine I have to almost ignore it except in the summer when the wood stove is going. Then I spray it for humidity. They do not like to be moved. They don't do well in a windy spot. It is in a pot. It has been for about 3 years. It is almost time for a root trim and transplant. It will be in shock for a while, but it will be OK. :fl

Latest posts