Your allotment garden is good for your health

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Original article from a Belgium paper...
http://www.gva.be/nieuws/wetenschap/aid1013252/volkstuintje-goed-voor-de-gezondheid.aspx

Translation and commentry by Pilili over on lowcarb.ca
"Before I translate the following article, I would want to give a tiny bit of explanation concerning the "allotment gardens" which are meant in the article.

The "allotment gardens" were an incentive in the Netherlands and Belgium (and possibly in other countries too) that started at the end of the 19th Century. They are gardens which are not part of the own home. You can rent them for a tiny price from the municipality. For that tiny price you commit yourself to tending such a garden as if it just simply were your own. You can plant vegetables on it, or flowers, or a combination or whatever you like (as long as you don't start a cannabis or opium plantage)

In the article, allotment gardens are concerned, but I suppose any little garden a person has that is part of his house, will do as well.

Your allotment garden is good for your health

Elder people who have an allotment garden, are clearly healthier and fitter than their agemates who have no access to their own little green piece of land. This is the conclusion of Agnes van den Berg of the Dutch research bureau Alterra in a research to the health effects of allotment gardens.

According to Alterra this aspect of the allotment gardens was never looked into. Taking into account that the average age of the population is constantly increasing, government would do well to stimulate the use of such allotment garden complexes.

By means of several experiments, Van den Berg demonstrated the past year that nature is good for a human being. Not only does nature affect our mood, but it also has a positive impact on stress: the amount of stress hormone in saliva is much reduced. So Van den Berg tries to give a scientific explanation.

"It would mean a lot probably if we understand how nature influences our brain. Take ADHD for example. Children are given Ritalin. It is accepted as a medicine because we know how it works. Nature therapy may also work, but if we do not understand how, it will never be accepted as a therapy".

Coming into contact with nature would boost a person's mood immensely. "Even casting a short glance through the window on the green plants outside can have a positive influence. The repairing effect of nature has different phases. They go from superficial to very deep. A short contact with nature repairs acute stress", concludes Van den Berg.

Van den Berg regrets that in urban territory it is so difficult to find nature. "Why can't children play in the neighborhood anymore? The connection with nature is made when we are young. After that it's a lost opportunity"."

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
No great surprise there! I think most of us gardeners know that the food is nutritious that we grow- but the mental health benefits are huge!!! I just have to remember to take a break from working in the garden and sit in the garden a little more this year!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a young visitor to my garden ask an intriguing question,"When I look at the flowers are they looking at me? " I'm not sure I know the answer to that one.

Latest posts