Your Dream Garden Shed

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
An Eagle Scout has offered to build a garden shed for us at the church community garden for his Eagle Scout project. This will be a from-scratch shed, not a commercially available shed.

If you were designing a shed from scratch, what are some must-have details you'd include? This will be for a veggie/fruit garden that is 10,000 sf.

Thanks!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My ideal garden shed would have a ramp through a good sized, or even double, door. Lots of open floor space for mowers, tillers, etc. Two walls, including a corner, would be shelves, to hold pots,and all the other little things you need to garden with, and bins on the bottom to hold any soil amendments/fertilizers (all organic, of course!). One wall would have varying height hooks (those two pronged thingies) to hold all of the long handled garden tools, and there would be windows in the front, on either side of the door, and in at least one side to let in plenty of light. There would also be a solar powered shed light (neat little system, my neighbor has it right now) for those quick trips in at dusk to put things away.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My big thing in it is if you are going to take up that kinf of space make it tall enough to have over head storage. I like my over head storage as much as the rest of the space. Also my dad's has a neat little addition to his shed. Have you ever seen a wood door on a house? The little door the opens from the outside to put wood in and then closes and puts the wood in the house? His does this for dirt - peat - straw - fert - compost. You get the idea. It saves the packing and dumping and carrying things through the shed to get to the back where your planting bench usually sits. Sounds like a great project!

Latest posts