Your favorite way to stake tomatoes?

bodnsoul

Sprout
Reaction score
I have always loved the cages made from concrete mesh. a 150 ft roll of the stuff is about a hundred bucks and I use it for so many things around the garden and it lasts foreever. I set my cages staggered off from one another and run wire to connect them and keep them from tipping over with a tee-post at each end of a group of cages. Buy the good tee posts from tractor supply, the stamped metal ones are just junk. I train to 2 leaders and remove suckers. I often have to wire additional support to the sides of the cages as many of the indeterminates I grow will get to be 7+ ft tall by the end of summer. You can also wrap the cages in plastic in the spring to make a mini greenhouse for an early start, and 2 litter soda bottles of warm water on a real cold night can be set down into the wrapped cages.

lavacaw

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I also use concrete reinforcing wire cages. Ours are about 15 years old now and some are starting to rust through the bottom, but if we trim one row off, they should last a few more years. We also use them to grow cucumbers and vining squash. A short stake (2 ft above ground) between each two gives us something to tie them to. Makes it easy to get through to the fruit and to pinch back vines when necessary.:dance

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Such good ideas!!! I've got a huge roll of old heavy mesh fencing in the shed....wooohoo!!

:tools

Forget-me-Not

Sprout
Reaction score
:dance I have found that wooden stakes works good if you have a local furniture maker they usually have the stakes and you can pound them into the gound then use twine to keep it confined. I also agree in removing the sucker leaves, then more of the norishment goes to the plant. :bouquet

kees

Sprout
Reaction score
I'm a newbie. :mowWhat's a field fence?

Suzy

CARS

Leafing Out
Reaction score
When we bought our farm site, the previous owners had left a bunch of livestock panels behind. (they are 1/4" rods welded up to create a 4' tall x 8' long fence)

I drive a couple fence posts into the garden bed and wire the panel to the posts. I have never seen anything stronger. By the end of the season the entire panel is full of vines! The plants just seem to weave through them with very little "help".

I will never go back to "cages" again.

Latest posts