Your favorites go to cookbooks for fruits,vegetables and mushrooms?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can find recipes all over the web and with that I am hinting to Hattie to start a thread with all her great links so we can all add on and find them easily!!!!!!

I do however think we need a cookbook thread here! Let's talk about our favorite (and maybe not so favorite, should never have bought ) cookbooks for fruits, vegetables and of course mushrooms! Nothing to me feels like a book in your hands ..turning pages ..reading rereading and ..well here we go...

WOW I bought this book forever ago and just so I could post a copy of what it looked like I went to Amazon to find it and holy cow it is a collectors item!!! I should have kept it in better shape!!! but who does this with cookbooks??? I do have some I just read but the ones I use are covered with food ..pages are worn and they have notes all through them about things I did and how I felt about the dishes I made..anyway if you are able to find this at a thrift shop or book store I guess now it is out of print ..maybe a library?
so I will start with my tattered copy of this very expensive now (I paid $10 new and though it was a splurge back in the day!) it is still up there on my list of must haves for cooks this book is all about cooking fresh home grown vegetables ..nothing exotic just really good food!!!

Marian Morash is a wonderful simple chef who concentrates on bringing out the best of what is already great! she has easy to follow recipes that are true to form and the photos in this book are very helpful...I literally cooked my way through this entire book and can honestly say it is perfect for especially a young cook just starting out who has a garden! all good nothing to complain about ..and I wish it was not out of print because I thought it would be nice gift for anyone who gardens ..bummer it is so expensive!

The Victory Garden Cookbook by Marian Morash

http://www.amazon.com/Victory-Garden-Cookbook-Marian-Morash/dp/039470780X

ok that is one out of many many but I will start here and you guys add on :)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there! :frow

I nominate the cookery books of Elizabeth David. They taught me to cook in the very late 1950's & the 60's (as she did all the youngsters of that time who wanted to get away from the left-over wartime rationing & austerity). I still use them now. Here is a list of a lot of her books:-

http://uktv.co.uk/food/stepbystep/aid/584193

They are not just recipe books but a kind of journal of her life & all the places she visited & the meals she ate. She was a rather racy gal & had a very 'interesting' life so she was a kind of role model for us girls of the 60's!!

This next link is an article written about her:-

http://www.waitrose.com/food/celebritiesandarticles/writersandcritics/0207069.aspx

I urge you to try to get hold of her books; they are all still in print, in paperback, published by Penguin.If you come across a first edition they are worth a lot of money.......!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

********Edited to add more information on Elizabeth David:-

http://www.wychwoodbooks.com/categories.php?subject=43

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:rose Hattie :rose

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like The Vegetarian Epicure. The author published one book in the 60's (?) or so and then a new collection of recipes in the late 90's or early 00's. I have the newer book. There are some wonderful recipes in there. One of them is the fennel bruschetta recipe I talked about on that other thread.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi again! :frow

"FLORENTINES - A Tuscan Feast" Recipes by Lorenza de'Medici.
ISBN 1 85793 359 1
Published by Pavillion, 1994 (UK)

Here is another of my favourite cookery books. It is a winner for me for many reasons.
1. It is small & light enough to read in bed..!! Very important to me. :lol:
2. It's partly a history book as the original recipes were written in the 17th Century
3. It's Italian. I have always loved their attitude to food, their beautiful markets, their enthusiasm & loyalty for their local recipes.
4. It is just packed with beautiful paintings & engravings of feasts, fesivals, fruit & vegetables.The paintings are by a woman artist called Giovanna Garzoni 1600--1670
5. The old recipes are delicious & still work now.

Unfortunately it is probably not in print any more but it is well worth looking out for.

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
if you can not find these books in print anymore keep looking! I never buy new books anymore ..not if I can help it.. what I do is keep a mental list of ones I want and if I am at yard sales, thrift stores, on craigslist (you can even place an add "in search of blah blah for free" I bet even Ebay would be a great place to find a used copy of any of these books ..also Amazon sometimes you can score a second hand copy of a book you have on your list

now I have Hatties books to look for and DrakeMaiden that is a wonderful book I agree and adore it ...in all my 100's of cookbooks I still sadly have not purchased it...but am determined to find a used copy one of these days ... I have borrowed it from the library and copied it often ..it is on my list

here are two more that I enjoy and have taught me TONS!

Better Than Store Bought by Helen Witty and Elizabeth Colchie
THIS BOOK IS FUN! :) seriously fun!! and you will use it!
I see the new version there is 1 on Amazon and it is $152!!! but you can get it used for $17 or borrow it from the library! this is a MUST HAVE for folks who adore making things they usually purchase but are curious and want to try to make a better version....I used it to teach my kids where things come from actually! it is a "how to book" everything from marshmallows to mustards ..every single recipe I have made in this book ..is true ...they have cordials... caramel corn ..dried sweet corn ..pickles ...the mango and peach chutney recipes are absolutely wonderful and unlike most I actually stuck to them because I could not think of anything to make them better ...ketchup, mayo, mustards are to die for ...lots of ideas/ways to use things up from your garden .I can not begin to tell you just how fun this book is or how easy it is to use..no photos in my edition and I love photos but it is still one of my top tens for having when you love to make more work and spend money on time on the ingredients and not so much on the final product

Putting Food By by Janet Greene ..another great book for those of us who like to do the work and reap the reward
...I first became interested in making everything from scratch when I could reach the stove ..when I was about 21 a dear sweet sister of my heart started talking about the idea of us all living on the same property ..growing and raising most of our own food and raising our kids together ..well that never came about we both had to actually work at jobs that required us to live in cities far apart ..me here in the NW and her in Santa Fe ..but we shared all our ideas books and it was comforting and nice to have that yearning together with her ...she passed away this past May after a 16 year life with breast cancer ..we both ended up after the kids were raised ..having places to at least grow gardens and enjoy some animals (although I live only a half acre and am very limited on the animal front ...she got 8 acres on a mesa but also cancer ...we still shared and shared and shared over a 30 year relationship we could not have gone over and learned more ..the fact is this board has become my outlet for what I used to have with her ..so thank you
this book gives a good overview of most forms of preservation ..it is a great go to book and one I read cover to cover more than one time ...everyone who wants to put food by should get this book it is as I said a true classic for squirrels :)