Your First Frost of the Season

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought it might be fun if everyone wanted to record on this thread when their first frost happens this year.

We got our first frost last night, but it was sort of an incomplete frost -- the lower portions of our property frosted, but the higher spots (like around our house) did not. So I lucked out, because even though I thought it could frost, I didn't protect any of my plants. I am going to have to be more careful. :p

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our first light frost was a week or ten days ago (more or less on schedule); tonight is going to be a hard frost, I'm pretty sure, as it is currently only about 40 F behind the house at 8:18 pm :p

All I got still out there is lettuce on the front deck against the house in containers, which reminds me, I need to go cover that up, don't I!

Pat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
September 21st was the 1st light frost. That's about the usual time for a "killing frost" but September 'o9 has been warm.

The frost burned 4 or 5 dahlia blooms but the sprinklers were adequate to keep the majority of flowers and other plants from harm.

I am expecting another frost tomorrow morning. It will probably also be a light frost, I hope so. The sprinklers are only sufficient for temperatures fairly close to 32F. I've broken plants right down onto the ground with ice build-up when the sprinklers were NOT adequate :/.

The growing season for the warm weather crops is really at an end. There is no "bright spot" in the forecasts. A few of the mornings ahead, I won't be able to be in the garden. But come what may - I'll be out there tomorrow before 5am with a flashlight and a thermos of coffee . . .

Steve

ohiofarmgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ours was last nite! not too awful - i got everything covered up that i wanted to save for sure. we'll go back to nites in the high 40's for a while. this was unusual b/c normally we dont have a frost until the first couple of weeks of oct - so this seemed early.

it was a real shocker going out there this morning tho - needed a jacket and everything. normally i'm in shorts until the very last second but i had to pull on sweats!

i think i can get the last of my maters in by early next week then it can be cold all it wants to

:)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is interesting to hear from you all.

Pat -- good luck with your lettuce, I hope you get a few more harvests.

Steve -- you are a diehard, eh? :) Well, I hope your early morning sprinkler work pays off for more than just the one day. Maybe the frosts will be kind and only come around when you are home to greet them! ;)

Ohiofarmgirl -- Us too. It was a shocker to see the frost before it was officially October, especially since we had so much heat there for a while. Our unheated indoor temps went from a balmy 65-70 degrees down to 55. Brrrrr. We will be stoking up the woodstove soon. Good luck with your tomato harvest.

Good luck everyone, with saving what you can and not getting caught off guard.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The deck was frosty yesterday morning and my eggplant (in a container) looks droopy now. :/ I better keep an eye out on the weather now! My container tomato plant has about 12 tasty tomatoes left to harvest (today!) and about 12 more that are still green. Everything else in the ground was fine.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You too, huh? I wasn't sure if you would get a frost the same time as I did.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I didn't feed that morning b/c I was under the weather, but I do know the deck was frosty. Not sure about the other vegetation.

Latest posts