Your ideas how to pickle cucumbers?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I get Mrs. Wages kosher dill packets. Those are my favorite. I pickle okra with it too, and add hot pepper flakes. I also do the BBB recipe for gherkins.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our cucumbers have taken off! So many and I was not planning to make pickles as they where a mushy lot last year. No one will eat them. I used Mrs. Wages. What did I do wrong? @journey11 Over process? OR are they just a limper pickle than most store bought?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Glad you are joining in. Grab a cool glass of lemonade and join right in. You might put your location in your profile, it helps with a lot of conversations.

What kind of pickles are you planning to make, dill, bread and butter, or something else? Then for each kind there are different methods, fermented, refrigerator, or just mix and can. At least with pickles you can water bath can, you don't pressure can. Some recipes require aging in salt, some don't. Then for each kind and method there are different recipes. If you are looking for a recipe you need to tell us what you are after.

One trick I've learned to get crisper pickles is to use cucumbers meant specifically for pickles, I usually grow Boston Pickling cucumbers but there are others out there. If you use the big cucumbers meant for eating they just aren't as good.

You need to cut the blossom end off of the cucumber, it contains some enzymes that will cause the pickles to go mushy. I use Pickle Crisp, some granules that help keep them crisp. I also put a grape leaf in with them when I can them. The grape leaf is supposed to help keep them crisp. If you water bath can don't over-process.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our cucumbers have taken off! So many and I was not planning to make pickles as they where a mushy lot last year. No one will eat them. I used Mrs. Wages. What did I do wrong? @journey11 Over process? OR are they just a limper pickle than most store bought?

Everything Ridge said, plus, I find they turn out better the quicker you get to processing them. Don't let them lie around in the fridge waiting if you can help it. Also pick first thing in the morning before it gets hot. They also make a product called Pickle Crisp. I don't usually buy it, but may try it next time. The Mrs. Wages may already have that ingredient added to them, I think. I've done the grape leaves too. It is the tannins in them that work.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything Ridge said, plus, I find they turn out better the quicker you get to processing them. Don't let them lie around in the fridge waiting if you can help it. Also pick first thing in the morning before it gets hot. They also make a product called Pickle Crisp. I don't usually buy it, but may try it next time. The Mrs. Wages may already have that ingredient added to them, I think. I've done the grape leaves too. It is the tannins in them that work.
THANKS, I have a big box of pickle crisp in pantry and can get the Mrs. Wages next trip to Thiesens or Farm & Fleet. Plenty of cucumbers , so if they flop AGAIN I am only out my time and a bag od Mrs. Wages!

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not a worry of mine this year. Deer ate my vines over the weekend. :thAll I can do is try, and hope for the best until I get a fence around a garden area.

But I love to make refrigerator pickles! Great for when you're just starting to get them to come on and you only have a few to deal with. Same with long beans. "Dilly beans" are amazing.

And to add, I use a half gallon jar for mine. And stuff more in as I get more Cucumbers gathered but don't have enough to warrant hot canning. Google refrigerator pickles and you will find lots of easy recipes. Some with garlic, peppers, etc. Yum!!

Last edited:

Latest posts